Panting?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatiegurl*Oh, Mar 21, 2010.

1. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    My doe that kidded Tuesday has been panting alot,could something be wrong? It has gotten warmer here than what it has been but it's still not to warm and I've just been letting her out of the barn for about a half hour a day so the kids can play a bit,and she starts panting pretty heavy.She seems healthy and is eating and drinking. She also was starting to go uneven because the kids where only nursing one side so I milked a bit from that side friday,and now they are about even but her udder was very hard earlier,so I milked again,this time both sides,and got what seemed to me like a good bit of milk out,I weighed it on a regular scale and it said 3 lbs. Is it possible it's because shes newly freshened and is producing more than the kids are eating? I know she comes from lines with some heavy milkers.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would milk her a couple times a day.

Dont know if this is why she is panting though

3. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Yeah I didnt know if that had anything to do with it or maybe her body's still adjusting to being in milk now :whatgoat: I dont want her to get mastitis or anything,the milk looks/smells fine right now though.I was off this weekend so was able to milk but school/work makes it more challenging,I can milk when I come home for lunch though

4. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Does her breath have a "sweet" smell to it? Can you tell if she has any swelling in her legs? Panting doesn't sound good to me...