The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had thought that our new little buckling Yoda was sick, but as it turns out his soft poop was still within normal range and the puddles I was finding where not from him; they where from our buck Papa Flash :(. I discovered this when I went home and they where much worse and his whole rear was covered and he stank to high heaven!

He is up to date on all shots vaccinations etc. so I gave him some Valbazen (thank you Happybleats) and no store in town had anything for cocci treatment but I did get some MannaPro Cocci Prevention crumbles to put in there food. This is what he had last night (what I had on hand running around to stores):
1. 2ml Valbazen
2. 1 quart mannapro electrolytes
3. 10 ml SpectoGuard Scour-chek

I have Sulmet on order not sure when it will get here, my husband is going to keep an eye on him as I have to work. He was eating last night and being a pain in the butt (which he normally isn't) trying to shove a turkey baster down his throat to give him the electrolytes and wash down the meds.

He was glaring at me when we where all done, but continued to eat (good sign?) I have not seen him drink on his own though :worried:.

What do you all think about Pepto, I see a lot of people include it in the treatment I feel like I am overdosing him in meds!

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
How old is he?
Any fever?
What breed? 2 ml of valbazen is good for a 20# goat since its 1 cc per 10#..so be surehe got enough for his size
Take him off all grain for now, hay only..offer electrolytes and fresh water so he can choose...C D antitoxin , pepto and B complex as a support...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How old is he?
Any fever?
What breed? 2 ml of valbazen is good for a 20# goat since its 1 cc per 10#..so be surehe got enough for his size
Take him off all grain for now, hay only..offer electrolytes and fresh water so he can choose...C D antitoxin , pepto and B complex as a support...
He is a Nigerian Dwarf, about 40lbs (so I probably didn't give him enough). He is 3 years old no grain (he doesn't want it) I did have to move him from his pen because there was poop all over and he is on a clean section of grass. I was going to go to the feed store today and get him some Purina Hydration Hay so he gets the hay, nutrition, and hydration.

Super worried for the next week because we have had high 60s to mid 80s weather and this weekend high 90s and next week 112! Our animals are not climatized to it and on top of him not feeling well.

I am going to have the vet out to do a fecal sample and see if he has any Cocci treatment on hand (which he should...I think)

He has fresh water and electrolytes not interest in either.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
if there's no cocci medicine, you can look in your spices drawer you can try this cocci remedy that i found in the holistic section:

Cocci Remedy
1 tsp powdered ginger * 1 tsp cloves * 1 tsp slippery elm powder * 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup boiling water - Steep for 20 minutes
For a 2 month old kid give 6-10cc twice a day for 5-7 days

it's ok if you don't have slippery elm powder, the cinnamon and cloves are cocci fighters. I've used this on my doe with success.

also, raw garlic cloves help with boosting immune system.

good luck!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if there's no cocci medicine, you can look in your spices drawer you can try this cocci remedy that i found in the holistic section:

Cocci Remedy
1 tsp powdered ginger * 1 tsp cloves * 1 tsp slippery elm powder * 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup boiling water - Steep for 20 minutes
For a 2 month old kid give 6-10cc twice a day for 5-7 days

it's ok if you don't have slippery elm powder, the cinnamon and cloves are cocci fighters. I've used this on my doe with success.

also, raw garlic cloves help with boosting immune system.

good luck!
I like this idea for the future! I like the more holistic versions I can make this in advance to have on hand ready to just boil. We have an awesome health food store that might have the slippery elm powder I will have to check.

I am sure my poor boy is going to hate me by the end of the week.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
ya, i'm a huge fan of holistic too. it sometimes doesn't solve the issue 100%, but at least it's there when you're in a bind, but sometimes it does solve your issues, which is even better!

this one is super easy to make as most people have these ingredients lying around a kitchen drawer or fridge!

the slippery elm powder helps harden stools.

my spice/herb rack has definitely grown since getting goats!

and, this stuff is pretty tasty...my doe doesn't like to be drenched, but she won't thrash as much when i'm giving this.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya, i'm a huge fan of holistic too. it sometimes doesn't solve the issue 100%, but at least it's there when you're in a bind, but sometimes it does solve your issues, which is even better!

this one is super easy to make as most people have these ingredients lying around a kitchen drawer or fridge!

the slippery elm powder helps harden stools.

my spice/herb rack has definitely grown since getting goats!

and, this stuff is pretty tasty...my doe doesn't like to be drenched, but she won't thrash as much when i'm giving this.
My animal supply list is increasing my husband actually mentioned I need to get a cabinet...lol I said yeah that is a great Idea...then I can fill it as well :). It could have its own spice rack fresh on hand.

This is our first sick goat so I didn't have all the stuff to be prepared :(, and I only just joined TGS and I am sooo thankful for all the information, help & advice.

My poor boy is just like one of my real kids, he is a bottle baby buck and was raised in the house and not really attached to other goats mostly humans. Makes me sad that he is sick just like when one of my kid is ill.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I would get B complex injectable...it gets in the system better than the gel which has to pass digestion...
Cocci or worm load is certainly a possibility, it can aso be a secondary problem caused by the stress his rumenis under, Im also thinking perhaps he got too much fresh graze or grain?? was he under any undo stress?? The runs in a 3 year old is usually dietary or stress induced...C D Antitoxin will help him through this..expacially if he is not chewing a cud.
heres what I would do for him:
C D Antitoxin to help fight toxins in his gut while he works through this
Probios to help restore fora in the gut
Pepto to sooth and dry him up
B complex for appitite and energy and support..
keep up with the electrolytes
Wormer according to you fecal exam

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would get B complex injectable...it gets in the system better than the gel which has to pass digestion...
Cocci or worm load is certainly a possibility, it can aso be a secondary problem caused by the stress his rumenis under, Im also thinking perhaps he got too much fresh graze or grain?? was he under any undo stress?? The runs in a 3 year old is usually dietary or stress induced...C D Antitoxin will help him through this..expacially if he is not chewing a cud.
heres what I would do for him:
C D Antitoxin to help fight toxins in his gut while he works through this
Probios to help restore fora in the gut
Pepto to sooth and dry him up
B complex for appitite and energy and support..
keep up with the electrolytes
Wormer according to you fecal exam
Yeah was super shocked it was him with the runs. He doesn't get a lot of grain he is usually in a portable hog paneled pen during the day which is fresh pasture grass, and in his dog Kennel/run at night (small cup of grain in the morning to bring him to his hog panel pen and then small cup of grain at night to bring him back in).

However we have been having super inconsistent weather here 50s then 90s then 60s to 80s literally within days of each other. Then its super hot and then thunderstorms and flash flood rains. It can't make up it's mind!

For the most part he is a stress free goat, hasn't acted different or anything. Tries to get him my lap for cuddles and gives me kisses when I move him morning and night...so I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Got my work cut out for me this weekend, I have Priobiotics and Pepto on hand as well as he is already on the electrolytes. I need to see if my mom has the C D I think she just got some (nice her living next door we can swap supplies in emergencies) she also might have a B complex injection if not I will run to the store see if they have some.

Thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Oh yes..weather change can be very hard on goats...can certainly cause rumen upset...Make sure the C D is ANTITOXIN not Toxoid..: ) good to have some one near to share..meds can add up. Best wishes

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Papa Flas has made a full recovery. So much so he escaped last night,found him in the shop sleeping.

Purina Hydration hay is a GREAT way to get forage and liquids down he gobbled it right up. Even mixed part of the water portion with the MannaPro electrolytes (better than a turkey baster) nice mix to made of chopped alfalfa, Timothy, and orchard hay.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
good news : )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts