Paper mache' goats, any interest? *pics FINISHED!

Discussion in 'Personal Creations' started by Dreamchaser, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I have learned how to make paper mache' goats. I haven't yet finished one, but I am working towards it. I'm not yet happy with the bumpiness of it. So, I am sanding it down some and using a little gesso on it. I think next time I might get some bondo or wood putty to fill in some of the low spots. I am going to add a little ribbon and some other embellishments around the neck, and antique the paint on the body. I am planning on selling these for $15 each after they are complete.

Any interest in these? I will add pictures once I finish the one. It will probably be next weekend or the following week. I was mistaken about the size, it is only 7 inches tall. So far, all I have done is gessoed it, not painted, antiqued and decorated it.

[​IMG]

EDIT:

here is the finished goat:

[​IMG]

2. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    Re: Paper mache' goats, any interest?

Just a idea.

Do not fill in to much or make them to smooth. What you are doing is a Folk Art and people like texture.

How tall are they going to be?
    I am a Stained Glass Artist and a Folk Art teacher. Right now makeing things to sell by hand is making a HUGE come back. If you are using recycled paper and/or wire for the frames tell people. Green is in :)

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Would love to see pics!

4. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC

Folk art goats would be great ...post a picture ...I might want one. Good Luck

5. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

I love folk art stuff and want to see pics!

6. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ

It is made from old newspaper, so yes, it would be considered recycling. I am leaving some bumpiness, it is hard to get it perfectly smooth. But the goat looked like it had tumors all over it's body. (Eww) I think it stands anywhere from 8 to 10 inches tall. I'm not at home right now, so I can't measure it until this weekend.

7. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.

I'd probably want a boer one-if possible??

8. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

Hey, where are those pics? LOL

9. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ

I said this weekend. Not last weekend! LOL. I have not had time to finish them. I am still putting the white gesso on. Then I will paint it. I will see if I can get a picture in progress up. It would be easier to many at one time, but I also need ample time to do them. Like 3 whole days to kindof do a production line. :D

10. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
  11. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    That is gorgeous!!! What is the outside- i thought paper mache was glue and newspaper??

12. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I REALLY like that! What kind of price are you asking for say, custom little goats? I could just imagine having my whole herd prancing across a shelf

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    very good job.... that is so cool.... :love: :greengrin:

14. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Wow! You artist types amaze me!! Good job! And recycling old newspapers = AWESOME!

15. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    That's very cool! I love how "primitive" it looks. They'll blend into anyone's country decor no problem :) Good job!

16. I am very happy for ou. This is so cool. I would love to see more if you explore with other breeds etc. :thumb:

17. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    What size are they and how much do you charge?? They look great by the way !!

18. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Thanks guys! It is made from paper mache', however, it does have some wire in it for an armature frame. It is gessoed, and painted with acrylic paint. I painted it, and then made an antique with some watered down acrylic paint, and glued some ribbon and other little embellishments. I also sanded it afterward to give it a worn look.

I kindof wish I had given it horns and maybe a beard to make it a little "goatier" but for a first try it's not too bad. I could still add horns to it at least if I wanted to. It would require a little more work and some heavy-duty glue though. It might be fun to add some fun fur to make a beard. It's still all experimental. This one is 7 inches tall. Anything smaller would still require the same amount of work unfortunatly.

19. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    One of these days I may just order one too, maybe you could make it look like Lyric. ??