The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your opinions on Registered, papered goats?
A waste of money or a good idea?

I'm hoping to get Registered,PB, Kiko buck in a couple years...but they have a real nice price tag:)

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I prefer papered animals... Then, we can show them, know their pedigree, and you can get more for them when you sell them.

IMHO it's better to start with registered animals :)

·
Super Moderator
58,203 Posts
It really depends on your area. In my area, you are better off to have registered stock for dairy goats because showing is a big deal around here. But don't bother with registered Boer goats. People don't want to pay for registered meat goats.

So I would research your area and see what the market will bear.

·
2,203 Posts
Truly, registered sell higher and there are more benefits that tag along with the papers as well. People seem more confident in their buying when they can see the pedigree and know the history on the animal. You can always base your herd off registered. Keep track of breedings, dates, and keep up with your tattoos. It's just as easy to stop registering and have that ability to go back on in case someone wishes for papers. We try to keep up with papers but sometimes fall behind and only send in the show does and the ones for sale.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
To me, it depends on what you are breeding for. If you are breeding for a commercial herd, then papers don't mean anything. If you are looking to get into purebreds, then obviously papers are extremely important. If the only papered animal you are going to have is your buck, then I, personally, wouldn't pay the extra just for papers since most registries aren't going to allow you to register the offspring anyway. If you are looking to eventually move into registered stock, then buying one or 2 animals at a time would be a good investment.

·
Super Moderator
82,212 Posts
Papered is good. You can register nice ones and keep them or sell the good ones for better money, than a unregistered goat.

The good thing is that you have the option whether or not, to register the offspring or not. If you have some that are not as good, they can go without papers. ;)
So all avenues are covered, when you have foundation bucks and Does.

·
14,725 Posts
I think it all depends on what you plan to do with the goats? If your raising goats for meat, then papers could be very much pointless.
If you plan to show, then papers are necessary.

I'd also look at demand in your area. If you think you can make $$ selling registered kikos, then go for it ;)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
The way I'm looking at goats right now is it costs the same to feed a goat that will throw $100 kids as the ones that throw $200 and more. The thing with kiko is like the Boer his kids can be 50%. Even at the sale yard I get a little more money for 50% does because it shows age etc as well as that's a generation ahead for those that want to work up to a high % herd. I also think that if your gonna spend the money do it on a buck. He makes half of your kids and is nice to know exactly what is in him. Example- I have a Boer Nubian doe she looks very much Boer she breeds to a 100%bBoer buck and she will still have a throw back of very dairy looking kids from time to time.
Looking into the demand of your area is a good idea.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
What is your opinions on Registered, papered goats?
A waste of money or a good idea?

I'm hoping to get Registered,PB, Kiko buck in a couple years...but they have a real nice price tag:)
What are you going to do with them? The only difference between a good quality commercial doe and a good quality registered doe is the price you will pay for her. If you are planning on breeding/raising show goats or breeding stock then registered goats would make sense. If you are planning on raising pets, selling kids for pets, or raising/selling for meat then registered is a waste of money. If you are planning on doing all 3 then either establish a registered herd and a commercial herd, or start with a commercial herd and build up to a registered herd.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I'm planning to register the best goats of the year, and sell the rest as meat...that way I keep track of what ones are best. What do you think?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts