The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE 9/28: I don't want to start a whole new thread when this is all related to the same thing. Snow continues to get better! He has more strength, he wants to play with Flower - the headbutts at each other are REAL - but the play is still supervised. Flower has outgrown Snow by at least 10 pounds, and I do not want Snow getting hurt. Their fecals came back good - all other worms are under control, but they did have to start a course of Corid. So far, we have poop coming back to berries instead of "dog logs" though not perfect yet. Snow is still pinked up, though he does need to rest every few hours or so. He had a big fat hay belly last night, so I was happy. All in all, once again, thanks to you all, we are on the road to not one, but TWO healthy goaties. I need to have blood work done, of course, to check iron levels but I need to find a different vet - I won't get into that unprofessional drama here. Again, Snow is on a great road to recovery!

UPDATE: After giving one dose of Valbazen Snowball was better within 24 hours. Diarrhea gone. He’s been doing great since Saturday. Last night I noticed his breathing was NOT normal. No open mouth, but clearly breathing hard. Drove an hour away to the vet’s house to get meds. Gave injectable Ivermectin, Dex, and Draxxin. He’s still breathing hard today, borderline fever, and he’s favoring one of his back legs. You can see the joint down by the hoof is swollen, and there is NO touching it. I didn’t mess with it, I just wanted to see if he had a cut or anything, and he was not okay with it. So, vet is coming again today. Please, PLEASE say a prayer or send good vibes or whatever, I just need him to be ok. I can’t lose this little guy - not after all we’ve been through, not with how much I love him. I’m so scared something worse will happen :(
--UPDATE 9/21/21: Ladies and Gents, without you I don't think I would be sharing GOOD news. Snow is up and moving around. He's excited not just about food and hay, but foraging/browsing. I was worried about bloating because he hasn't eaten a whole lot of browse or green stuff in a week, so I just kept an eye on him. We have PINK EYELIDS. I have two more days for dosing him with red cell (I was VERY careful with the dosage so not to get an iron toxicity). He had a supervised visit with Flower today, outside the pen, and they were playing. Little head-butts, but nothing more. I actually had Flower on a leash so I could step in if he got too rough. But everyone - SNOW IS IMPROVING DRASTICALLY. I can't even believe what I'm seeing. Without all of you... I don't think this would have been a happy post. The only thing I need to get under control is his breathing. He breathes through his nose, but his sides look like someone is sucking them in. Vet hasn't answered about a different antibiotic after having Draxxin (the 14 days it is supposed to work for). Another person said "don't wait, get Penincillin" but I'm not too keen on grabbing an antibiotic when he just had one. So, I'm going to try to get a call from the vet. Sorry for such a LONG update, but you all helped me save his life. I know we aren't necessarily out of the woods. We will be doing rotational grazing/browsing to keep parasites under control. I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am to all of you; I'm still new to all of this and even though I'm doing research and trying my hardest, there is just some information ya need from people who have done this a long time. --

My vet, again, as nice as she can be, didn't listen to me. I knew they had worms again - I could SEE them in their poop - and that they had coccidiosis again based on their poop. Over a week later she didn't call me, Snowball ended up with diarrhea (still has it). I called the office and the other vet told me, yes, go by Corid right now (as it's readily available), but I didn't listen to her dosage. I found information tothboergoats gave at some point about the dilution - vet didn't want me to dilute, doing 7cc straight for each goat. Last time, Snowball ended up having to have Thiamin injections (that part is so damn confusing - vet says it causes a deficiency, other sources say no...). I did the dilution - so they get 9.9 cc. It was actually easier to give it to them without them spitting it out.

I'm going to get some electrolytes today - they have diluted gatorade but Snowball is so picky. Flower will suck it down, but Snow only drinks it if he has to. They have a huge bucket of plain water, too. I've been told to get Baycox, but I can't find it anywhere unless I order it online for 100$, which I don't have right now. Since June, I've spent over 2k on my boys getting them healthy - I don't regret it for one second and I'll keep spending money if I need to. I was also told to get Equimaxx - I found another post of yours on dosage with that, and since everything you've told me so far has been SPOT ON, I'm going with that, too. I was given advice, since they've had coccidiosis more than twice, that I should get feed with Decoxx in it. It has all the same ingredients as the Purina Grower feed... just the added coccidiostat. Have you ever used this? I am so upset that these boys have had so many health problems - and made at the family who had them first. A month after I got them, 4 goats from their herd died from coccidia!

Fun fact, unrelated to parasitism: Also had to do a goat rescue: Flower, somehow, got on the other side of our 4.5' foot fence. There is no foothold for him. I have NO IDEA how he got over there! I called him and he was screaming - saw the bushes move on the other side of the fence. Man, I moved so fast! I got my son and boosted him over the fence (very similar to what is sold as goat fencing, just taller). He had to grab Flower and full on Simba lift him so I could grab him!

I'm sorry to be such a pain - You guys have not steered me wrong even ONCE. I trust you almost more than my vet at this moment.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Work on a healthy rumen. Work on getting their mineral and vitamin levels up to a proper level. Do the correct dosage for the correct length of time on Corid. I'd start them on Replamin Plus along with their loose minerals. 5cc for 5 days in a row, then once a week after that.
Thank you for the advice. I just want them to be healthy. I love them so much and I get so upset that they aren’t well (again). I’ve been trying so hard and I feel like I’m doing something wrong. I’m picking up the Replamin tomorrow. I’m following the exact dosage for Corid with the dilution. I will definitely keep up with minerals and vitamins!

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,514 Posts
Thiamine cannot be given with Corid. Corid works by depleting Thiamine and mimicking it. When used correctly there is no polio concern, really. Incorrect/overdosed/undiluted is not safe.

There is a great thread called “Medicine Cabinet 2020” with great dosage information.

I would send out a fecal after the 5 day treatment - maybe a few days after, and send to www.meadowmistlabservice.com :)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
How CORID works:
Structurally, CORID mimics thiamine (Vitamin B1) which is required by coccidia for normal growth and reproduction.
When coccidia ingest CORID, they experience thiamine deficiency and starve from malnutrition

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
How CORID works:
Structurally, CORID mimics thiamine (Vitamin B1) which is required by coccidia for normal growth and reproduction.
When coccidia ingest CORID, they experience thiamine deficiency and starve from malnutrition
This is one of the things I found quickly, it does not necessarily cause thiamine deficiency in the goat, but in the coccidia... actually @toth boer goats posted the info on another thread!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thiamine cannot be given with Corid. Corid works by depleting Thiamine and mimicking it. When used correctly there is no polio concern, really. Incorrect/overdosed/undiluted is not safe.

There is a great thread called “Medicine Cabinet 2020” with great dosage information.

I would send out a fecal after the 5 day treatment - maybe a few days after, and send to www.meadowmistlabservice.com :)
Thank you for this! My vet was having me give it undiluted! I corrected that today. Everything I re

Thank you for this. My vet had me giving it undiluted and I had gotten so much other advice not to do that… my gut said “fix this” and I immediately changed the way I was doing it. I’m in the process of trying to get in with a different vet. Not a lot of openings so it’s difficult but I won’t give up.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,094 Posts
@andunham Copied this from the other post for you, this thread seemed like a good place for your question.

Re: EQUIMAX...anyone used this?

I've had good luck with Equimax in goats. I don't worry about overdosing with it so much since it is an Ivermectrin base and still follow the 2-3x guideline when it comes to dosing.
This goes for goat kids too? My boys are only 35 lbs each and I get scared about overdosing them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@andunham Copied this from the other post for you, this thread seemed like a good place for your question.
Thank you! My vet texted me, finally, and they are LOADED with worms. I cried. I am trying SO HARD to keep things clean and fresh and healthy for them. She told me about rotational grazing, which I had never heard of, and suggested I do this. They have round, tape, and pin worms! As well as coccidiosis! She said to get safeguard but I get different feedback on that - some say it’s not effective, and to use ivermectin (i.e. Zimectrin Gold). I cannot thank everyone on here enough - if not for you guys, I think my boys would have been in serious trouble (though this is serious, I know how to combat/fix the problem).

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,094 Posts
She told me about rotational grazing, which I had never heard of, and suggested I do this.
Rotational foraging can be very effective towards parasite control. Basically, the life cycle of most worms is 3 weeks from the time a worm egg loaded goat poops on the ground, till hatching and climbing up a blade of less than about 8" tall grass/spindle type weed. Additionally most of the worms have to find a host (goat eating the grass with a worm larva attached), within 3 months or they naturally die off. The method I use consists of moving my goats into a new section every 2 1/2 weeks and not returning them to that area again until a minimum of 3 months or longer. There are exceptions to these guidelines, barber pole worm being the main type coming to mind.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Thank you! My vet texted me, finally, and they are LOADED with worms. I cried. I am trying SO HARD to keep things clean and fresh and healthy for them. She told me about rotational grazing, which I had never heard of, and suggested I do this. They have round, tape, and pin worms! As well as coccidiosis! She said to get safeguard but I get different feedback on that - some say it’s not effective, and to use ivermectin (i.e. Zimectrin Gold). I cannot thank everyone on here enough - if not for you guys, I think my boys would have been in serious trouble (though this is serious, I know how to combat/fix the problem).
You could use either, I personally use ivermectin... it's what our vet wanted us to use but the safeguard should work! I'm so sorry your going through this but atleast you know what to treat them for. Are you using Corrid for the Coccidia then?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rotational foraging can be very effective towards parasite control. Basically, the life cycle of most worms is 3 weeks from the time a worm egg loaded goat poops on the ground, till hatching and climbing up a blade of less than about 8" tall grass/spindle type weed. Additionally most of the worms have to find a host (goat eating the grass with a worm larva attached), within 3 months or they naturally die off. The method I use consists of moving my goats into a new section every 2 1/2 weeks and not returning them to that area again until a minimum of 3 months or longer. There are exceptions to these guidelines, barber pole worm being the main type coming to mind.
This is such helpful information. I’m currently scrambling to find a way to create a pen for them that is portable - I have read about cattle panels and putting them together, but they look awful flimsy when I’m looking at them on TSC website. They are still little, so I’m assuming they don’t need 20 feet by 20 feet, so I’m trying to find something that works and I can afford at the moment.

I’m looking at SafeGuard now, but I’m so undecided on dewormer… I need to get something but I don’t know which one to get. I do appreciate the help and advice you’re giving me - a lot of this stuff I didn’t know, so I’m scrambling and doing research and finding things out too late. I feel like a terrible owner :(

Reactions: K.B.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
This is such helpful information. I’m currently scrambling to find a way to create a pen for them that is portable - I have read about cattle panels and putting them together, but they look awful flimsy when I’m looking at them on TSC website. They are still little, so I’m assuming they don’t need 20 feet by 20 feet, so I’m trying to find something that works and I can afford at the moment.

I’m looking at SafeGuard now, but I’m so undecided on dewormer… I need to get something but I don’t know which one to get. I do appreciate the help and advice you’re giving me - a lot of this stuff I didn’t know, so I’m scrambling and doing research and finding things out too late. I feel like a terrible owner :(
The fact that you care and brought in fecal samples means you are a wonderful owner! You noticed something wrong and are trying to fix it! It's hard kids will be kids you know pick up and taste everything. Keeping parasites at bay is a challenge!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ivermectin along won't address tape worm. Zimectrin Gold is a combination paste that will address both the tape worm and the round and pin worms the goats are currently carrying.
Oh, wow! That’s great info! Definitely getting the Zimectrin Gold. I really can’t thank you enough for this!

Reactions: K.B.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You could use either, I personally use ivermectin... it's what our vet wanted us to use but the safeguard should work! I'm so sorry your going through this but atleast you know what to treat them for. Are you using Corrid for the Coccidia then?
Yes for the corid. I didn’t listen to the vet to give it undiluted - the diluted solution they get 9.9 mL (I just give them 10 mL).

1 - 20 of 190 Posts