Parasite Control Questions

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by retropicker, Jul 27, 2015.

1. retropicker

retropicker New Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I have eight 2-3 year old does on a 2 1/2 acre plot. Six 5-6 month old does on 1 acre and 2 buck on 1 acre. They all have clean water, their feed troughs are up off the ground, there is plenty of grass and browse. It seems like one of the grown does is always getting scours. Every month it seems like one of them is sick with cocci. We usually take a fecal test to vet to be sure and then we end up treating with Corid (per vet). We worm them all with Cydectin and Equimax paste on a regular schedule. I purchased some Valbazen yesterday but we have not used it yet. Any recommendations or suggestions for getting this under control. I hate constantly having to treat with meds but sure don't want to lose any of my herd. The one or two of the baby girls got sick a month or two ago but we attributed that to stress from being weaned from the moms and moving to a different pasture. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

What do you feed? Do you have a good loose mineral out? Do you copper bolus and give some type of selenium supplement?

3. retropicker

retropicker New Member

Mar 4, 2015
    We do have a mineral block out. No copper bolus or selenium. Had not thought about that.

4. melbah1

melbah1 Member

Goats need a loose mineral because they need quite a bit of minerals. I am using Payback minerals for goats. I used to use a different kind that they didn't like. I didn't realize that theywweren't getting enough minerals until they started having health problems. so, I can say from experience that a good, loose, free choice mineral matters.

sounds like your wormers aren't working or you're not dosing properly. I used baycox for cocci. When you do worm, do the follow up doses 10 days later, ghat makes a big difference.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  5. retropicker

retropicker New Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Thanks for that info melbah1