Parasite Egg identification

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by MadHouse, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    There is an adjusting knob on the side under the slide tray. It should lower the tray to allow you to use the 40x or 100x magnification. It should raise & lower the entire tray.

2. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    What kind of microscope are you using? What kind of slide?

Here are some pics I took a while back of cocci they are small compared to the other more common stomach/intestinal eggs, you definitely need 40x to see them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some eggs I photographed last week when I was running some fecals. These all came from an almost 3mo doe, she didn't have any big #'s, but I have never seen 4 different ones in the same goat.

This is most common, I have been told this is the Brown stomach worm
    [​IMG]

This one is possibly Barberpole, or Trichostrongyle
    [​IMG]

Very rarely do I ever see this one
    [​IMG]

and again, very rarely do I see this one. I have not looked closely into these last 2 (yet), I've been meaning to ask a friend who is more experienced in identification.
    [​IMG]

3. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Active Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    I think we need a whole separate fecal forum so we can all learn! This is good stuff

4. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    The 3rd one, with pots of room inside is a bankrupt worm. We have those sometimes.

MadHouse likes this.
  5. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    It's very interesting that's for sure! My 13yo daughter will be learning to do fecals, I'm going to teach her next time, which will probably be this weekend.
    Did you see my post from last year that shows larvae moving in the eggs? THAT was freaky! I left a sample in the fridge for 2 days by accident in a sealed container. So when I pulled it out to do it, I got a crazy surprise lol If you haven't seen it I'll look for that post and share the link.

Thanks! I had planned to compare to the charts last night and see if I could get proper ID or message a friend and totally spaced it. I see that one very randomly. I treated with Quest Plus about 2 weeks ago, and this was after that, treated with Equimax, so I am going to run another fecal 7 days after deworming and see if the Equimax (Ivermectin/Praziquantel) did anything if not, I know it's not as effective, if I see less, then I know Ivermectin is still useful.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  6. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

This is the microscope I bought:
    40X-1000X All-Metal All Optical Glass Lens Student Biological Field Microscope with LED light Omax eyepiece camera included. Take pictures or videos downloaded to your computer. three objectives 4X, 10x, and 40x with two wide field eyepieces 10x and 25x. I added a mechanical stage for precise slide movement and a full diaphragm to enhance contrast. AmScope M100C-LED
    The slides are just regular glass slides, not the special vet ones.
    I just bought it used and going with the slides that came with it for practice.

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  7. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    Dewormers are hard to figure out. Here where we are in SETX, it is wet and humid so worm heaven. We use a rotation of dewormers, as needed for what the fecals so. We also use Pyrantel or Quest when we need to pack a punch to knock a worm load down. We will use Cydectin, Valbazen, depending on what the fecals show and we use Long Range every 4 months across the board. We also copper bolus every 6 months and use pumpkin seeds. So far, this regiment has served us well.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    This looks like threadneck worm.

9. MadHouse

Would you be able to tell me at what power this slide with the lung worm larvae was taken?
    I am looking at something close to that looking, but I cannot post a picture, I don’t have enough data right now.
    Thanks

10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Well, the air bubbles are small and they are usually much larger than worm eggs so I’d say a pretty small magnification power. 10x maybe? Not sure.

11. MadHouse

Ok, now I can post my suspicious worm looking pics. What do you think, are any of these lungworm larvae? After I saw these in the fecal, I heard the goat in question cough of course.... thanks for any help
    upload_2020-8-18_13-32-4.png

upload_2020-8-18_13-33-1.png

upload_2020-8-18_13-33-38.png

upload_2020-8-18_13-34-56.png

upload_2020-8-18_13-36-10.png

12. MadHouse

Also, I saw my first worm egg. I had read that when you see one you will know right away... and I did. I didn't realize they would be this big. Nematodirus. upload_2020-8-18_13-39-54.png

13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I’m quite concerned with the amount of lungworms I’m seeing. Have you treated for them?

14. MadHouse

So that’s a yes, those are lungworm larva?
    I wasn’t sure if they were or not, which is why I am asking for confirmation.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  15. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would say yes, that would give me enough cause to treat for them.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  16. MadHouse

I started treating her with LOH parasite formula, accute dosing.
    Checking everyone else’s fecal next.

17. MadHouse

@MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm @HoosierShadow @GoofyGoat @Michaela Van Mecl
    Do you think these are all lungworms?
    I am getting paranoid now and seeing lungworms in other fecals, of goats that aren’t coughing.
    Thanks

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  18. MadHouse

:update:
    Ok, so those were NOT lungworms.
    I found the home lungworm test here on TGS, where you tie poop in gauze and float it in water overnight. There were no lungworm larvae on the surface, for any of my goats.
    And Willow got 6 days worth of yummy herb balls, which doesn’t hurt.
    The coughing has subsided.

19. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    To me, those do not look like Lungworms. Just organic material or matter.

20. MadHouse

Ok, now I have another one. What is this one? It is smaller than Nematodirus, the size of Haemonchus.
    upload_2020-9-12_16-55-34.jpeg
    Thank you for any help.

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.