The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I was just wondering what different ways you prevent parasites (worms, lice, etc.) in goat kids and their success rates? Any ideas are appreciated! :)

·
Super Moderator
59,745 Posts
I treat as needed. I don't do any type of chemical worming on a regular basis. Good husbandry goes a long way. Keeping their areas clean. Fresh water. I copper bolus on a regular basis. I have minerals and kelp out free choice.

·
14,615 Posts
Except for cocci prevention, most of us dont worm kids till they need it.
You see, dosing when they dont need it or under dosage is what contributes to ineffective wormers.
Then we have management. Keep hay off ground. Pasture with short grass is where they're going to pick up the buggars.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
For lice I treat as needed with Equisect, a spray. Spray on brush scrub to skin. Kills lice, and is natural, rid my herd of the buggers. :)

I have my kids on herbal coccidia prevention, so it will not contribute to chemical resistance.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I use herbals for my goats, and only use chemical only when needed. been working well for me so far... keep them healthy, and their immune systems should take care of the rest.

as for lice, you can also sprinkle diatomaceous earth on them and in the stall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts