Participated in our first show

Discussion in 'Show Circuit' started by highlonesomefarm, Sep 6, 2010.

1. highlonesomefarm

highlonesomefarm New Member

Jul 6, 2010
    We participated in our first show this past W/E at the State Fair and though we did well, 2 firsts, 2 seconds, a fifth and a sixth, I learned alot. There is much more that goes into a great dairy goat than looks. One of the ones that won was the most ill behaved goat I have ever seen, not a good one to have on the milking stand. Others that had great udders went berserk when touched. Some things cannot be quickly measured in the show ring like disposition, milk taste and amount produced. I wouldn't trade my 6th place gal for all the grand champions we saw because she is the sweetest goat with the best tasting milk I have ever seen. We have registered for one more show then that will be it. No more for me. I'll keep my babies and try to breed based on other things besides the perfect bone structure and "mammary system". It's like they say, a great horse comes in many shapes and sizes. Same with dairy goats.

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Congrats!!! Did you happen to get any photos??

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ah yes some large productions dont handle their goats all the time so come show day they arent the best behaved. But I also know that my sweetest does can be a handful at shows too.

If showing isnt for you because you think you have to have ill behaved goats to win then I have to disagree with you. But whatever your reason I understand showing isnt for everyone.

Congrats on your placings, its nice to know what you are working with so you can try your best to breed for better quality even if you dont put them in the show ring yourself. WHo knows someone later on may and that can reflect well on you :)

4. highlonesomefarm

highlonesomefarm New Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I did get photos, I look like a goob, the goats look great. I don't know how to post the pictures yet. Stacy, you of course, are correct that many top quality goats are wonderful. I still plan on breeding for the best quality dairy characteristics, but I agree, shows aren't for me. I'll just go to observe and learn.