The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to think about enclosures for my two (soon to be more?) 8 week old wethers, and am looking for advice.

I have about a quarter acre that is already fenced, and another half acre that is not. My current plan is to build a three sided StrawBale structure for them in the quarter acre that is already fenced, and fence the other half acre later...should I divide up the quarter acre even further so I can control where the goats go a bit more? what other considerations are there? I'm sure there are a lot I'm missing...

I'm obviously a beginner, so any and all advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
There's no reason to divide the quarter acre unless you want to pen some goats separately. If you have some you want to keep separate like does without horns and wethers with horns then I'd consider it. I'm not sure how well your pasture grows but I'd personally be more inclined to let one group have the whole quarter acre and fence in the half acre to separate them if need be. Everyone always wishes they had a little more pasture.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
If it will actually grow pasture I'd consider cutting the larger part in half and using it for more browse. Depends on whether it puts out grass or not. Here, we have small areas and I rotate a lot since it grows very well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts