Pasture

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by goatshows, Jan 28, 2011.

1. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    Hello,
    As some of you know I am moving my goats home after 5 years of boarding. once they are here I am hoping on makeing pastures fo roatational pastures.

How do you know if the goats have had enough on pasture?

Do you supplement with hay and if so how much?

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Each herd is going to be different. It really depends on size of the goats and size of the herd. Each herd will be different and you'll probably have to do some experimenting before you know exactly what works for you.

We have two large pens, one is dry lot, the other is pasture. We just replanted out goat pasture. They get put out in the mornings to graze, then come in at night and have free choice hay...that works best for me, but it really depends on your herd. ;)

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I agree, you'll probably have to experiment. How much land will you be getting, and how much is already fenced? You can see what they do, then go from there, so you can plan on needing more or less fence.
    We have boers/large goats - 5 does, a 5mo doe, 9mo whether, 3 yr old buck, and 2 new kids - 4 does are pregnant.
    We have 2 acres of land, hopefully getting another 1/2 acre.
    Their pen is a large part of our front acre, and the buck pen sets inside it.
    Mostly grass there is a creek that runs through it, and the other side is underbrush/browse.

Our back acreage is all wooded and through summer and fall we turned them out for around 2 hrs each day to browse, and this has been very adequate for them. We will finish fencing the back acre in within the next 2 months, and they will be able to browse back there whenever they want. Hubby said we could keep around 20 goats comfortably on what we have.

BUT

we ALWAYS make sure they have access to hay, and we grain our girls year round, since they either will be pregnant, nursing, or building up after weaning.

So far this seems to be working for us, so hopefully you can find what will work for you.

Ideally, I'd LOVE to have a bigger place with more pasture, but our goats love the browse in the woods so much....

4. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    we have 2.5 acres but some of it cant be used for goats. none of it is fenced. guess what i am doing this spring :doh: lots of work cut out for me, i am hopeing on at least an acre fenced for pasture. but i will have to work on it as i go

5. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    i am planning on 6 to 8 nigerian dwarfs

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Wow, your herd is growing isn't it??? Glad your going to be able to move your goats home, it's so much easier. Let me know if you need some help with the fencing.:)

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Sounds like plenty of land for nigi's to me :) You could fence in the area intended for the goats, if you have a buck, make his pen, and later if you feel you need another pen, or as you get money , or time, etc <if you want to wait>, then you could divide the remainder of the pen and rotate them whenever you feel the need.

BTW, congrats on being able to look forward to having them at home.