The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going seed my pasture, I was wondering what time of year is best to seed, and what to use ? It will be in shade mostly.

·
2,203 Posts
I am going seed my pasture, I was wondering what time of year is best to seed, and what to use ? It will be in shade mostly.
Comes down to what you want? Do you want an alfalfa mix? Straight alfalfa? Timothy grass? Winter rye and grass? It's best to seed in the fall the year before, or the spring. A good crop takes 2 years normally. Visit a seed supply or feed mill and talk your options out.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
We bought a horse pasture mix at TSC. We like that. Grows well. We seed both spring and fall for a couple years. Really comes in thick then.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
We have everything ready to go November first right before we start to get rain. As for what to plant mjs is right depends on what you want.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
If you have horses do not plant an alfalfa mix. Horses eating alfalfa after a freeze will die. Just something to think about. If you are just planting for goats, then they don't really seem to like grass. Find a mix that has chicory, clover, etc in it. I've bought a seed mix that is for deer plots and that seems to work pretty well. Fall or spring is usually the best time.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This pen is specially a goat pen :) I feel more confused now then before lol!

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
What time of year you seed really depends on where you are. We need to seed in Sept/Oct timeframe and I'm in Ohio.

You could always contact your extension agent for what is good in your area.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The when isn't near as much of a problem as what lol... Where did you find the deer plot seed stuff?

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you have horses do not plant an alfalfa mix. Horses eating alfalfa after a freeze will die. Just something to think about. If you are just planting for goats, then they don't really seem to like grass. Find a mix that has chicory, clover, etc in it. I've bought a seed mix that is for deer plots and that seems to work pretty well. Fall or spring is usually the best time.
Do you remember the name.

·
2,203 Posts
If I'm just getting two pygmys as pets, what do I need to do to my yard?
For pets? Nothing. They'll nibble grass. Just keep hay available to them.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts