The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
I only know about the vaccine for rabbits. I didn't know there was one for goats.

My view on it without having research on it is that I have never even heard of a goat having it (I know they can, just haven't seen or heard about it) so I am most certainly not spending a bunch of money to vaccinate my herd over something that is very rare.

EDIT: Oops, didn't realize you were talking about pneumonia! nevermind.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We lost a yearling and 3 babies in 5 months to pneumonia around nov - april. And its really not too expensive but we now have nuflour on hand and we are spacing out our breeding enough to were the first 5 will kid between jan and february and the last five in june. So the kids will have a little longer under the heat lamps.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Weigh the difference between your losses, the cost of the Nuflor, the added stress of treating an already sick goat, and the cost of the vaccine. That's where I start when deciding whether to vaccinate for something. Nuflor is not cheap in my area, and the added stress of handling a sick goat takes a toll. If I had a high incidence of cases or losses, and a vaccine would help to prevent both of those then I would be all over it.

·
Banned
988 Posts
I have used it for 2 years now. I have had no bad effects from it. Rarely have a sick goat. I give it in the spring when I give my CD&T shots. I also give to any new goat I get. I have had no lumps or bumps from it. Its cheap insurance I pay about 5 bucks for an it has I think 10 doses in it I think would have to look.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I used it for a couple years after when I bought two goats from a breeder one who was vaccinated and one who was not. a couple of my girls brought back the virus from a show and the only one I never had to treat was the one who was vaccinated. I started vaccinating every one that year in January (pregnant does too) and never had a case since. I dont vaccinate anymore since I eradicated it from my herd but it was very hard to do.

Note: the vaccine can make them limp/lame if given near the leg or shoulder area. its only temporary and does go away in a few days. I didnt have this happen but a friend did and others have mentioned it happening so Im passing it along.

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
I had a young doe die 12 hours of giving the vaccine. I gave it subQ over the ribs, because I had another goat go lame because of it. That was the only thing that girl got that day.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I had a young doe die 12 hours of giving the vaccine. I gave it subQ over the ribs, because I had another goat go lame because of it. That was the only thing that girl got that day.
Could it have been anaphylactic shock? there is always that chance with vaccines

sorry your kid died because of it.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
^^ might not want to keep that up, I got in trouble for sharing my experiences like that. Don't want you to get ban :)
You know why you were repromanded - it was for laughing over the matter - stating a fact is one thing, finding it funny and continuing to do the same thing over and over again is startling to us. Especially with no remorse for the death of your goats.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts