Pasturing my bottle babies

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by vjamison812, Aug 7, 2013.

1. vjamison812

vjamison812 New Member

Mar 5, 2013
    We have two Nigerian Dwarf wethers that we adopted in March. Both bottle babies..one about 2-4 weeks older than the other. Basically they are about 6 mos. old. They have lived in a lovely pen with plenty of feed and alfalfa hay and some play structures their entire time with us. We also have a nice fenced pasture where only two mini-donkeys and a deformed calf live.

I would love to let my babies (goats) out in the pasture but I am not sure how to go about that. I let them out a couple of times when I was around or with them and one time the jack donkey chased them around and pawed at them. The goats didn't seem to know he was being aggressive...but I read an awful story about a goat having its back snapped by an aggressive donkey.

Would appreciate any and all advice as to whether I could put them in the pasture and what the process would be or whether I should just let them live their lives in the pen.

Thanks in advance

2. erica4481

erica4481 Active Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Georgia
    I recently had to sell my 3 mini donkeys for that exact reason. The 2 Jenny's were super friendly with them until one had a baby. Once the baby got old enough he and the 2 Jenny started chasing my baby goats attempting to stomp them. And actually did stomp my mini dachshund dog. I put their butts on craigslist the next day. I wouldn't put the goats out with them if they behave like that. They may get away a few times but eventually they will get stomped

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Agree. If your donkeys don't like them, there is no way you can put them in there with them.