The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are going to pasturize milk, should you do it right after milking or can the milk be a few days old?

My son and husband won't drink the raw milk and it's going to waste as I can't use it all. I planned on trying my hand at making cheese but I haven't had the time to make an attempt. I have to learn how first!

·
Super Moderator
58,202 Posts
It will probably taste better if it is done right away. But if your milk is going to go to waste anyway, may as well try what you have.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
It will be just fine. I save milk till I get a couple of gallons and then I warm it up and run it through the cream separator. As long as you cool it pretty fast you are ok. I have a plastic coffee can that I put the glass quart jars of warm milk in the can add ice and cold water and it is cool in a few minutes. I always mark my jars...but after its been through the separator it's all mixed up...doesn't seem to matter...I've never had any milk go bad on me.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
make yogurt it easier than any thing else and all my family and friends love it. what kind of cheese are you trying to make? riccotta is very easy as is farmers cheese. if you have a fanny farmer cookbook there are recipes for both.
heat the milk to at 164 degrees to pasturize then cool quickly in ice water. i would not wait more than 2 days to pasturize,

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
enchantedgoats, I haven't tried to make any cheese yet. I still need to get the supplies for cheesemaking and will probably just go with whatever is easiest at first. I will give pasturizing a try to see if the guys would be more willing to try it. It's been one of 'those' weeks around here tho. LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts