Pawing kids

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Keebler, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Keebler

Keebler New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    I am new to keeping goats and i have two new kids that are about two months old. One is male and one is female. The female is pretty independent, coming to me but not staying very long, whereas the little male goat is always running up to me, nipping at my clothing, pressing his head against me, and pawing me. I mean all the time! I am just curious if this means anything. Is it a good thing or a bad thing? lol Thanks!

2. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I think he just wants attention all the time, :greengrin: he also probably wants to jump and play on you...

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with jenna.....he is wanting your attention....I have one that does that.....It is so cute.....unless they have muddy feet. :doh: ..LOL :greengrin:

4. Keebler

Keebler New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Yea i have to say it is totally adorable!!!

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep...you have yourself a "wanna be in your back pocket all the time" type goatie!! I have 2 does and 2 bucks that are like that....always wanting attention! The younger doe even does the pawing to the other does.....just so they know that she is around!

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    My Jitterbug does that all the time :roll: and yes Pam when they have muddy hooves ... so anoying :angry:

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that's for sure... stacey..... :wink:

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    You will not think its totally adorable when he is and adult and still doing it.

Smack him on the nose and stop this behaviour now before it gets dangerous.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah I have to keep reminding Jitterbug that such behavior is NOT allowed. Mia does it at times but I do what they say for dogs when they jump on you "quick knee to the chest and turn your back" It doesnt feel so great to have a 65lb doe jump on you and paw you

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yep... and on top of that ...when you have your back turned and all of a sudden ..one rears up and has there 2 front hooves in the middle of your back...that is a shock...not comfortable... :shocked:

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its bad enough with minis I cant imagine a boer!

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh boy...they are heavy...and the shock you get...because it is so unexpected.... :shocked: :shocked:

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    .... YOU HAVE BEEN CLAIMED!!!

you are now HIS human. all attempts of other goats to claim you are futile.. there is no escape.

JK. but you have been claimed. and he will continue to jump up on you.. which is not fun.. my lamancha claimed me.. and so did memphis.. so they fight over the claim.. i just flick their noses.

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Try having a yearling angora doe with all four feet on you ... 'back surfing'

Chelsea used to do that everytime I was squatting the paddock to grab something off the ground, pull out a weed, fix a fence etc. Not fun

15. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    2 of our does this to each other and to me as well. They will paw each others backs for a very long time, while the "pawee" just stands there and looks like she is in bliss.. I wonder if it is comforting to them? When they do it to me, I do have to keep pushing them down because it can become love overload :)

Jennah

16. Keebler

Keebler New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    That is funny that goats "claim" us! It is cute but I will have to be carefull that it doesnt become obnoxious. So far he is the only one that does it, and I am hoping he will be my breeding buck. My other male just became a wether. I only have 6 goats.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    SDK ....too funny..... :ROFL: but I am "HER" human ..LOL :greengrin:

keren...Oh that would be uncomfortable..... :shocked:

Jennah...it could be ..."I'll scratch your back ...if you'll scratch mine"......that is cute... :greengrin:

18. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    If you are planning to leave your buckling intact, do not allow him to play with you that way. It may be cute now, but it won't be when he's full grown and in rut. Bucks need to be taught from little on who is in charge. Otherwise you may have an aggressive buck on your hands.

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    goatkid...that is very good advice....it is something to really be careful about.... :wink:
    thanks for bringing it to our attention... :greengrin: