The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years back I heard of a swiss couple who were thru-hiking the pct with the assist of packgoats along the way. I don't recall their names, but does anyone know if they had kept a journal of their trek?
Eb

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rex your goats musts have been in pretty good shape to keep up with the 20 mile days. Last year I did a out and back hike near mt. Jefferson on the pct and kept getting passed! These pct through hikers are moving pretty fast. I've always been pretty aggressive and I'm not used to being passed, but it happened a lot that weekend.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My husband and I must slow our pace significantly when hiking with our goat - we've been working to keep him moving along, but it's clear that we'll just have to mosey more when we pack with him. It will probably work in our favor on the long trips, though, given that we're less likely to kill ourselves by pushing too hard if we've got this goat keeping us going at a more sane pace.... So I'm guessing we'll be doing 12-15 miles/day - the PCT through-hikers can do upwards of twice that much, so we'll be getting passed a LOT!

·
Registered
28 Posts
This a little of topic, but how is it that people can put daily life on hold for six months leave jobs, school, kids...... Behind to go for a 2600 mile walk about for about $6000? I have a hard enough time getting out of town for a week to go hunting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Off topic but i've heard this question before. My father and I thru hiked the pct in 2006. My wife and I are self employed which allowed for great flexibility and my dad retired as many thru hikers are. In 2012 (with farm sitters in place) my wife, both kids (16 & 10) and I attempted another PCT thru hike. What we learned of many other hikers; there were those who just graduated from college and were looking to "find themselves" (today's economy probably still looking), those who gave up their jobs and would deal with those realities once done, over eager kids who are trying to set some kind of meaningless speed record, folks that would search out sponsors to shave costs for the trip, and so forth. It's that "whatever it takes outlook" in order to experience 5-6 months of nomadic freedom.
Eb

·
Registered
27 Posts
PCt and time

In our case, my husband (who generally works long hours way too many days/week) gets a 3-month sabbatical next year - otherwise we certainly would not be able to carve 6 weeks out to walk the Oregon section of the PCT. Having a goal like that is pretty fun - gives us something to research, think about, plan for...who knows whether it will become a reality. At least we can aim for it! We'll need a "farm-sitter" to live here and take care of our other critters - hopefully will be able to work that out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts