Peanut, the Nigerian Dwarf

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BekaNPeanut, Apr 2, 2020.

1. BekaNPeanut

BekaNPeanut Member

Apr 2, 2020
    New York
    Good Afternoon! So my name is Beka, and my grandmother has a herd if Nigerian Dwarf goats at her farm. On the 20th I went down with my boyfriend to let in our horses. One of our mothers who we purposely breed early had triplets that past Saturday. The kids were almost a week. I checked on them and gave mom grain and found that one of the kids was not acting right and would not run when we touched her. Most of our kids are always very skittish and she had been before this. I told gram and she went down the next morning. We brought her to my house and she had labored breathing and wasn't acting right and was skinny. So we called a vet and asked he said to give her 2-3 ccs of penicillin IM. We did so and that made one of her legs lame for a while. She has refused since we took her from mom to take any kind of nipple, we have tried eleven different shapes, including a lumbar one. So since I have been syringe feeding her through a 5cc syringe. We have been milking mom because the other two have shown no interest in the left side of her bag. However, after a while, Peanut, the kid we took away, started showing signs of joint ill. The vet then told us to continue the penicillin for 4-5 days. She was eating good and the one day ate 12-15 full syringes in one sitting. I had been reading that you should let them eat as much as they want as long as it doesn't exceed four ounces. The next day she refused to eat and was grinding her teeth. Since she has not eaten willingly and is grinding her teeth every now and then. She does pick around with green grass and grain and we have just recently tried applesauce and she seems to like that a whole lot. However, will not drink milk without me forcing it. She is still very skinny and is very tired all the time. Last night we did have to give her an enema because she had not pooped in several days. She pees fine but will not poop. I really have no clue what else to do. She will not feed for either of my Grandmas or my Grandpa. She is very much imprinted on me and we are running out of ideas on how to make her better or help her.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Has the vet actually seen her physically? Sounds like she needs to be tube fed to get milk in her.

3. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Can you give her Milk of magnesia? She needs it to continue pooping and working her rumen. Put a pinch of baking soda in her 1st bottle, only. When you feed her, dont let her eat until her tummy is firm. Thats hard on her system. She should have a few ounces in every feeding. Hope this helps

4. BekaNPeanut

BekaNPeanut Member

Apr 2, 2020
    New York
    No the vet has not but we have a scheduled appointment for Saturday.

5. BekaNPeanut

BekaNPeanut Member

Apr 2, 2020
    New York
    What is milk of magnesia? And how much do you recommend per feeding for her to be eating? I’ve only been giving her about 3-4 of the 5cc syringe.

MadHouse and Nigerian dwarf goat like this.
  6. BekaNPeanut

BekaNPeanut Member

Apr 2, 2020
    New York
    Do milk if magnesia and the baking soda together? And how much milk of magnesia? she’s only about three pounds. We did give her private for her stomach for the penicillin. However you said not to feed her until her belly was firm but her belly is almost always firm? what do i do in that case? We also checked her inner lip and eyelids and she appears to mildly anemic as well. As well having Joint I’ll.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  7. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Milk of magnesium about 1/2 cc once a day for 3 days.
    Baking soda just a pinch in her 1st feeding only, help her tummy
    Being anemic. 1/2 cc red cell everyday for 5 days.

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  8. BekaNPeanut

BekaNPeanut Member

Apr 2, 2020
    New York
    Red Cell? What is that?

9. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Red cell is a vitamin b complex flavored with yukka. So its sweet tasting & very healthy.

MadHouse likes this.
  10. BekaNPeanut

BekaNPeanut Member

Apr 2, 2020
    New York
    Okay, where can i find that? and how do I get her to start eating? She won’t nurses of a nipple and won’t take the syringe willingly i have to do it slowly through the corner of her mouth.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  11. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I bought mine at Tractor supply. Its in a wine colored plastic bottle.
    You might need to tube her. Just to get a few ccs in her. Then try the nipple again. There are alot of forums on nipples and how to get the kidd to drink. Mostly warming the milk to 100° is the most important.

MadHouse likes this.
  12. ksalvagno

So she is only getting 15 to 20 cc of milk per feeding? She is starving. You really do need to tube her. She isn't pooping because she isn't getting enough food to produce poop.

MadHouse likes this.
  13. BekaNPeanut

BekaNPeanut Member

Apr 2, 2020
    New York
    Okay thank you!

14. BekaNPeanut

BekaNPeanut Member

Apr 2, 2020
    New York
    Except I can’t get her to eat it. She used to eat like 50 cc for most feedings and used to try and nurse on the syringe but then she just stopped. Except I don’t know how to tube an animal. And the person above said not to feed her till her belly felt firm but her belly feels firm almost all of the time.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  15. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    How do you know she only weighs 3 pounds? Did you weigh her or are you guessing? If she really is only 3 pounds at a week old she's malnourished and you need to get more into her now!
    Are you only giving what the mama produces? If so you need to find someone selling goats milk and start her on it because at some point the other babies will start eating off that side you won't have anything to give her. Her mother's milk is best for her but you never know when the others will eat it all. Try to get the vet out sooner to tube feed her, does your vet know anything about goats?
    Have you taken her temperature?
    Can you get pictures of her so we can make a better call?

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  16. BekaNPeanut

BekaNPeanut Member

Apr 2, 2020
    New York
    Yes we weighed her. No the vet can’t come any sooner. And no we are also feeding her a mixture of fresh cows milk, because the vet had said that would also work if we couldn’t get enough from mom. And yes we’ve taken her temperature, it has ranged but mostly between the good range. Once it went above that but we had given her penicillin for that. How much should I be feeding her? And yes she always lays like that.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    MadHouse likes this.
  17. ksalvagno

I think what they are saying is firm and what you think is firm are 2 different things. They are talking about being a little rounded around the stomach. With feeding by syringe, she can also aspirate. I know you are trying your hardest and your best. No one is questioning that. But you have to find a way to get more milk in her. You can find YouTube videos on how to tube a goat.

18. BekaNPeanut

BekaNPeanut Member

Apr 2, 2020
    New York
    Okay. And where would I find the tubes needed to tube her? And how much should he be weighing by now? And yes I know about the aspirating, I have syringe fed animals before and I have been watching for that.

19. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    50cc's is less than 2 ounces (I made sure) so I would say try getting 150cc's in her at a time but at the least 100cc's 4 times a day. I don't know a lot about ND goats but if she was born around 2-3 pounds she should be around 6-8 pounds but again I'm used to the bigger breeds so I don't really know.

https://www.jefferspet.com/categories/goat/kid-center/bottles-nipples-2

20. ksalvagno

You should be able to find supplies at your local farm store. But you could even get the tubing at places like Lowe's or Home Depot.