pecking order?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by heavenlyhaven, Feb 15, 2009.

1. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    tillie had babies dec5
    thus Hope the house goat
    then bambi had babies jan 23
    well i separated bambi from the herd and locked her into a barn that i knew was draft proof and whatnot to protect the babies cuz it was such a horribly cold time
    today is chilly but the sun is out and the barn door (bambi's barn) has been open for the last week or so and the babies have been venturing out and Twinkle shows no signs of labor AT ALL
    so i opened the gate that separated the momma's pasture to the main pasture and tillie and bambi (who have been together since birth) are beating the heck out of each other
    is it pecking order or what?
    it has calmed down now or i wouldnt be in the house and i think that tillie is now dominate (bambi was (?) herd queen) but it got scary there for a bit
    even arthur and pig kept going over and breaking them up
  2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

this is normal, they havnt been together now for awhile. And one has kids that she will be protecting from the other mom to be. The other mom to be is probably a bit grouchy and tired of the whole being pregnant thing as well.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    yah I have seen this happen before too.

It is kind of interesting how everything can so easily shift after just a short period apart. Tillie was probably happy to assume a higher position when Bambi left and wasn't about to give it up to Bambi again.

As long as the kids arent getting caught in the action I would let them stay together and sort it out. Now i know at times it does get dangerous so use your best judgement when deciding if to separate again or not.
  4. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    neither doe has horns and the babies stayed cleared and all calmed down before i came in the house
    i think bambi conceded to tillie but i was just worried and curious
    thanx stacy
  5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    They are just being normal goats. Mine will even fight after just a weekend of a few of them being away at a goat show.