The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so I’m pretty new to registered goats. I just bought my first registered doe in the October and have since been really throwing myself into learning all about registration and ins and outs. I have most of the actual process of registration down etc. Now it’s more all the terms used to show the goats quality etc. I’m trying to start to learn. She’s registered with MDGA. Anyway, my question is what do you all think of her pedigree. From what I’ve studied so far, and my minimal understanding it seems pretty decent, but would love any input from the more experienced!
Fun fact: She is due to have babies the end of February.These will be my first babies able to be registered! Excited 😉
Font Paper Document Paper product Circle

·
Registered
473 Posts
Well, I do not know Nigerian dwarf lines so I can't help you with that part. I can tell you that the SGCH means a finished champion and a superior genetics rating. The girls seem to have their milk stars for multiple generations and your bucks are plus and star B's which is good for milk. If she's American Dairy goat association registered you can actually go on the genetic website and learn more about the parents and grandparents. You can see what traits they tend to pass on what their strengths and weaknesses are if they have any linear appraisal numbers and you can look at other prodigy and see how they have done.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I do not know Nigerian dwarf lines so I can't help you with that part. I can tell you that the SGCH means a finished champion and a superior genetics rating. The girls seem to have their milk stars for multiple generations and your bucks are plus and star B's which is good for milk. If she's American Dairy goat association registered you can actually go on the genetic website and learn more about the parents and grandparents. You can see what traits they tend to pass on what their strengths and weaknesses are if they have any linear appraisal numbers and you can look at other prodigy and see how they have done.

Thank you! All very helpful info. I appreciate your reply. I have been able to look up on websites and find several of the parents and grandparents, and they did seem quite nice to me.

·
Super Moderator
32,973 Posts
My nigies all but one are not registered. I'm not familiar with whose who in the nigie world but there are plenty on here who are

Best wishes

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
2,150 Posts
I'm not as familiar with registered NDs than these members are @Calistar @FoxRidge, so hopefully they'll chime in soon with more info.

@TripleShareNubians gave some good advice. The only herd name in her pedigree that I recognize is Castle Rock and they have some very nice goats. Never heard of the other herd names, but she does have quite a few milk stars in her pedigree with is great! And also the grandsire who's a finished champion with superior genetics like, @TripleShareNubians said. Looking forward to seeing pictures of her!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not as familiar with registered NDs than these members are @Calistar @FoxRidge, so hopefully they'll chime in soon with more info.

@TripleShareNubians gave some good advice. The only herd name in her pedigree that I recognize is Castle Rock and they have some very nice goats. Never heard of the other herd names, but she does have quite a few milk stars in her pedigree with is great! And also the grandsire who's a finished champion with superior genetics like, @TripleShareNubians said. Looking forward to seeing pictures of her!
Thank you very much for chiming in 😉

·
Registered
473 Posts
Here's a few pictures of her! She's pretty shy and hates to be caught so she's hard to get close too. Once she realizes your just trying to pet her she likes it. She's a cute little thing! She is a very petite goat.
View attachment 219839 View attachment 219841
View attachment 219840
View attachment 219838
View attachment 219837
It's hard to tell much from front shots except for the fact that she's cute. I also don't know much about the breed characteristic requirements on Nigerians. She has a pretty head,. I think it looks like she's got good width of nostril which in the Nubians tells a lot about width. She does look pregnant though. I hope somebody chimes in soon it's used to looking at them and knows more. I've been working so hard to learn my breed that I haven't concentrated too much on others. There are obviously things that should be the same as far as you know flat butts and with the ribs and top lines and udder stuff, but these photos don't help me with that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's hard to tell much from front shots except for the fact that she's cute. I also don't know much about the breed characteristic requirements on Nigerians. She has a pretty head,. I think it looks like she's got good width of nostril which in the Nubians tells a lot about width. She does look pregnant though. I hope somebody chimes in soon it's used to looking at them and knows more. I've been working so hard to learn my breed that I haven't concentrated too much on others. There are obviously things that should be the same as far as you know flat butts and with the ribs and top lines and udder stuff, but these photos don't help me with that.
Right! I know. Pretty much all I got is hear shots for cuteness at the moment. I’ve been wanting to get pics of her to help people judge her structure and stuff but at the moment I was just thinking understanding the pedigree would help me know her quality as well.
She is a fairly long goat which I know is good. I’ve never seen her in milk yet, but I’m excited to see how her udder turns out. This will be her third kidding I believe.

·
Registered
473 Posts
So are you going to let her raise her kids or are you going to? If she's going to raise them and you say she's a bit flighty I would suggest you make sure you bring her somewhere she can be pinned up and fed with the kids every day and you can spend a good amount of time handling them. I found if a mother is flighty the babies often pick that up from her. My meat goats taught me that. All my Nubians I bottle feed the babies so they follow me around like the pied Piper.
If you go on the American Dairy go to association website there is a page and information that talks about seeing a goat by the numbers and there's also stuff on linear appraisal which has diagrams to help you learn to judge confirmation at least in theory. I find it harder in practice than in theory but I'm learning.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So are you going to let her raise her kids or are you going to? If she's going to raise them and you say she's a bit flighty I would suggest you make sure you bring her somewhere she can be pinned up and fed with the kids every day and you can spend a good amount of time handling them. I found if a mother is flighty the babies often pick that up from her. My meat goats teach me that. All my Nubians I bottle feed the babies so they follow me around like the pied Piper.
If you go on the American Dairy go to association website there is a page and information that talks about seeing a goat by the numbers and there's also stuff on linear appraisal which has diagrams to help you learn to judge confirmation at least in theory. I find it harder in practice than in theory but I'm learning.
Thank you! Yes I have definitely been studying into body structure as well. It’s complicated but fun to try and learn it all!
Also, yes I do plan to dam raise, I typically do unless of course there’s a problem. Then I would bottle feed. But typically it works better for me to dam raise if possible. But yes she will be penned up in a small area and we will be handling the babies a ton! I have definitely heard that a skittish goat will teach her babies to be the same way, which is definitely not optimal 😬

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm not super familiar with all her lines but some of mine have Elfin Acres and Castle Rock genetics and they are great producers and have great structure. I have no clue on the others.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts