The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hey everyone, so I’m pretty new to registered goats. I just bought my first registered doe in the October and have since been really throwing myself into learning all about registration and ins and outs. I have most of the actual process of registration down etc. Now it’s more all the terms used to show the goats quality etc. I’m trying to start to learn. She’s registered with MDGA. Anyway, my question is what do you all think of her pedigree. From what I’ve studied so far, and my minimal understanding it seems pretty decent, but would love any input from the more experienced!
Fun fact: She is due to have babies the end of February.These will be my first babies able to be registered! Excited 😉 View attachment 219803
It looks like her pedigree has ADGA registered goats in it, do you know why they switched registries? Do they have any performance programs? Castle Rock is a big name quality breeder, and I've heard of Elfin Acres but don't know specifics.

Good luck with your registered goats. I do sell some unregistered, but mine are all registered. I get great help in my breeding by using the performance programs.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It looks like her pedigree has ADGA registered goats in it, do you know why they switched registries? Do they have any performance programs? Castle Rock is a big name quality breeder, and I've heard of Elfin Acres but don't know specifics.

Good luck with your registered goats. I do sell some unregistered, but mine are all registered. I get great help in my breeding by using the performance programs.
Yes I noticed that as well. I’m not certain why the switch...she is only registered with the one at this point. MDGA from what I’ve seen so far does have some performance programs such a milk tests for milk stars.
That’s what I’ve seen particularly. From the bit I know about registered goats it definitely seems to help to have that extra proof you have a quality animal.
It’s great several people are at least recognizing she does have some well known, stellar lines going for her, that’s cool. I’ve really appreciated all your input!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Alright, so first off even though she's registered with the MDGA, it looks like she's also ADGA registered. That's great because that gives you easier access to more information about her, and ADGA is the most popular dairy goat registry, aside from during the last 11 months, but that's a topic for another thread.

As a couple other posters have mentioned, Castle Rock and Elfin Acres are both nice herds. They both have a lot of winning show animals. That's awesome, but don't get hung up on a herd name. Some of my worst animals with serious flaws have some of the best herd names in the nation behind them. On the other hand, one of my best animals is from a no-name herd that no one has ever heard of. So don't assume an animal is good just because you see a well-known herd name somewhere in the pedigree- look at appraisal data and milk records wherever possible!

It looks like there are a lot of *B, +B and *M in her pedigree- that's excellent! Main things you want to look at are dam's records and sire's dam's records. Unfortunately there is no appraisal score or milk test data on her dam. Her sire's dam looks good on paper, with an appraisal score of 90 and a milk star. Her appraisal data shows that she's got a really nice, high udder with a nice arch and a well-blended fore udder. She was coded for high dorsal process and tilted chest floor, and her weakest points are her shoulders, feet, and rump, but she still scored "good plus" in those areas so overall not bad. It's not ideal that she was coded for two areas, but no goat is perfect. I'm much less concerned about a tilted chest floor than I would be about something like crooked/bowed legs, for example. You need to decide what's important to you and what you're willing to work with. Looking closer at her milk test data, it's kind of all over the board. She earned her star, and she's an okay milker but not exceptional. Her best lactation was 850 lbs which is decent, but her following lactation she dropped to only 570 lbs even though she was in milk for almost the same amount of time. She didn't change owners in that time, but it's possible that there was another issue, or maybe they only did once a day milking that year, or changed their feeding routine- who knows. There's a lot you can tell by looking at data online, but not everything! It looks like the sire's dam also has several progeny with appraisal scores and milk test data. I don't have the time to look through them, but it's always great to see data like that on progeny so you can get a better idea of what the animal will produce!

Even though the dam doesn't have data on file, the dam's dam does. If you go through the same process, you'll see she also has a very nice appraisal score. She scored 91 as an aged doe at age 8, which is very impressive! Her worst score was for her feet, she was coded for spread toes- not a dealbreaker in my book by any means. Again her milk test data is only okay. Judging by dam's dam and sire's dam's data only, I'd expect your doe to be able to earn a milk star but not to break any records or anything.

Sire, dam's sire, and sire's sire all look like they have a number of progeny who have been on milk test and have appraisal scores. This is the best case scenario because it will give you an idea of what they will produce. Again, I don't have time to look at all their scores, but you should go through their milk records and see what their production is like. Look at their appraisal scores- not the numbers for the final score, but the actual data. See if there are any issues they are repeatedly coded for. Pick a few areas to focus on and see how their daughters score in those categories.

I've been typing so much I don't even remember the question 😆 I hope that answered it, or at least gives you the insight to figure out how to answer it for yourself. If you're really looking at a goat, you need to look further than the herd name, the milk star, or the appraisal score, you need to look at why they got that score and how they got that milk star. Overall, looking only at the pedigree and the data I could find on ADGA Genetics, she looks like a solid doe. I'd expect decent conformation from her, and about average milk production. I'd highly recommend trying to track down her ADGA registration if at all possible, because that will open doors for you that an MDGA registration alone will not.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Alright, so first off even though she's registered with the MDGA, it looks like she's also ADGA registered. That's great because that gives you easier access to more information about her, and ADGA is the most popular dairy goat registry, aside from during the last 11 months, but that's a topic for another thread.

As a couple other posters have mentioned, Castle Rock and Elfin Acres are both nice herds. They both have a lot of winning show animals. That's awesome, but don't get hung up on a herd name. Some of my worst animals with serious flaws have some of the best herd names in the nation behind them. On the other hand, one of my best animals is from a no-name herd that no one has ever heard of. So don't assume an animal is good just because you see a well-known herd name somewhere in the pedigree- look at appraisal data and milk records wherever possible!

It looks like there are a lot of *B, +B and *M in her pedigree- that's excellent! Main things you want to look at are dam's records and sire's dam's records. Unfortunately there is no appraisal score or milk test data on her dam. Her sire's dam looks good on paper, with an appraisal score of 90 and a milk star. Her appraisal data shows that she's got a really nice, high udder with a nice arch and a well-blended fore udder. She was coded for high dorsal process and tilted chest floor, and her weakest points are her shoulders, feet, and rump, but she still scored "good plus" in those areas so overall not bad. It's not ideal that she was coded for two areas, but no goat is perfect. I'm much less concerned about a tilted chest floor than I would be about something like crooked/bowed legs, for example. You need to decide what's important to you and what you're willing to work with. Looking closer at her milk test data, it's kind of all over the board. She earned her star, and she's an okay milker but not exceptional. Her best lactation was 850 lbs which is decent, but her following lactation she dropped to only 570 lbs even though she was in milk for almost the same amount of time. She didn't change owners in that time, but it's possible that there was another issue, or maybe they only did once a day milking that year, or changed their feeding routine- who knows. There's a lot you can tell by looking at data online, but not everything! It looks like the sire's dam also has several progeny with appraisal scores and milk test data. I don't have the time to look through them, but it's always great to see data like that on progeny so you can get a better idea of what the animal will produce!

Even though the dam doesn't have data on file, the dam's dam does. If you go through the same process, you'll see she also has a very nice appraisal score. She scored 91 as an aged doe at age 8, which is very impressive! Her worst score was for her feet, she was coded for spread toes- not a dealbreaker in my book by any means. Again her milk test data is only okay. Judging by dam's dam and sire's dam's data only, I'd expect your doe to be able to earn a milk star but not to break any records or anything.

Sire, dam's sire, and sire's sire all look like they have a number of progeny who have been on milk test and have appraisal scores. This is the best case scenario because it will give you an idea of what they will produce. Again, I don't have time to look at all their scores, but you should go through their milk records and see what their production is like. Look at their appraisal scores- not the numbers for the final score, but the actual data. See if there are any issues they are repeatedly coded for. Pick a few areas to focus on and see how their daughters score in those categories.

I've been typing so much I don't even remember the question 😆 I hope that answered it, or at least gives you the insight to figure out how to answer it for yourself. If you're really looking at a goat, you need to look further than the herd name, the milk star, or the appraisal score, you need to look at why they got that score and how they got that milk star. Overall, looking only at the pedigree and the data I could find on ADGA Genetics, she looks like a solid doe. I'd expect decent conformation from her, and about average milk production. I'd highly recommend trying to track down her ADGA registration if at all possible, because that will open doors for you that an MDGA registration alone will not.
Thank you! This has helped immensely, and I will definitely look into all of it more in depth as you’ve stated! All of this makes good sense. Thank you for such a detailed and honest response, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
God I sound like a snob 😂😂😂
Not at all!!! It was most helpful. I’m looking for the real facts and want to learn to do the best I can for my herd.
Certainly everyone’s goals are different, and not everything is a one size fits all, but sharing info like this has helped me immensely!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Cyclogenesis was a friendly flashy buck. i was told he didnt produce constant,not sure how you say it. he had really nice lines though. graceridge has a website and you can see most of the goats in her lines. also look at elfin website and find out about them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Cyclogenesis was a friendly flashy buck. i was told he didnt produce constant,not sure how you say it. he had really nice lines though. graceridge has a website and you can see most of the goats in her lines. also look at elfin website and find out about them.
Thank you for responding. Very helpful.

·
Premium Member
4,445 Posts
If she is ADGA and MDGA she must be purebred Nigerian Dwarf? ADGA will not accept % Nigerians. MDGA is a registry for Mini dairy goats (Smaller versions of the standards breeds plus they also register Nigerian Dwarfs). I have animals in both registries. I love her coloring, I have always loved bay goats! She has a really pretty face, too!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thank
If she is ADGA and MDGA she must be purebred Nigerian Dwarf? ADGA will not accept % Nigerians. MDGA is a registry for Mini dairy goats (Smaller versions of the standards breeds plus they also register Nigerian Dwarfs). I have animals in both registries. I love her coloring, I have always loved bay goats! She has a really pretty face, too!
Thank you! I love her coloring as well. She is very pretty and she threw the cutest kids last year. Preowner showed me pics.
It’ll be fun to see her babies this year.
I was told she is only registered in MDGA but as stated above she does have ADGA registered ancestors...🤷🏻‍♀️ She is purebred Nigerian dwarf.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Thank

Thank you! I love her coloring as well. She is very pretty and she threw the cutest kids last year. Preowner showed me pics.
It’ll be fun to see her babies this year.
I was told she is only registered in MDGA but as stated above she does have ADGA registered ancestors...🤷🏻‍♀️ She is purebred Nigerian dwarf.
She doesn't just have ADGA registered ancestors. She herself is ADGA registered- she wouldn't show on ADGA Genetics if she weren't. Her registration number is D002051252.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
She doesn't just have ADGA registered ancestors. She herself is ADGA registered- she wouldn't show on ADGA Genetics if she weren't. Her registration number is D002051252.
Interesting. Thank you for that clarification. Do you have any advice on how I might be able to get her ADGA papers? The owner I bought her from only gave me MDGA papers, and the person she bought her from would barely give her papers at all. I wonder if she only gave her the MDGA ones and not the ADGA. Pure speculation, but this lady has a history of not getting people papers apparently. The owner I bought this doe from did eventually get her MDGA papers from that owner, but the doe she purchased with Freedom she never could get papers from even though she was registered 😕 Just wondering where the ADGA papers got lost along the way...

·
Premium Member
4,445 Posts
Without the original registration and a transfer of ownership, you can't get her registration papers with ADGA. Whoever owned her last as written on the registration would be the one to contact to find out about her ADGA status.

·
Premium Member
4,445 Posts
There is a website for Graceridge Farm....graceridgegoats.wixsite.com

maybe they could shed some light on her status?

·
Registered
814 Posts
As mentioned, contacting the breeder is probably your best bet to start. ADGA used to have a feature in their subscription reports where you could see who a goat's last registered owner was, and that would be who you'd need to contact, but subscription reports haven't been available since last February. Good luck! Hopefully you're able to track down her ADGA papers- that registry has much more prestige than the MDGA (not that there's anything wrong with the MDGA!) and would give you better access to performance programs and a better market for any registered kids.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Tan
As mentioned, contacting the breeder is probably your best bet to start. ADGA used to have a feature in their subscription reports where you could see who a goat's last registered owner was, and that would be who you'd need to contact, but subscription reports haven't been available since last February. Good luck! Hopefully you're able to track down her ADGA papers- that registry has much more prestige than the MDGA (not that there's anything wrong with the MDGA!) and would give you better access to performance programs and a better market for any registered kids.
Thank you! I’ll look into that.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts