The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a two-month-old pygmy male that has not been banded yet. In the last day and a half he has had issues trying to pee pee and when he does he hollers... Any idea what could be going on?

·
Super Moderator
58,412 Posts
Urinary calculi. You need ammonium chloride ASAP. Fruit fresh from the grocery store will work until you get the ammonium chloride.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's doing better. He is peeing but he acts like it hurts. Him and his sister are bottle babies and sleep inside the house at night. I feed him some pears and apples and that seemed to help some.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Barefoot Goat, when Karen mentioned the "Fruit Fresh", I believe she was referring to an acidic product used to preserve fruit, which you can find in most grocery stores, and not just fresh fruit. Ammonium Chloride is best for the job, but if you can't find it, the Fruit Fresh will work as a temporary substitute. But you need to be aware that, if it is urinary calculi causing the problem (and it certainly sounds like what it is), it can be life-threatening. Do try to get him to a vet if you can!

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
Everyone has given you great advice. We had a wether have crystals recently. We went to cut his pizzle.. which you also do that may help. Our boy was so swollen we couldnt get to his. But in the process as funny as it sounds our son says i “milked the piss out of the goat”. I know crazy. But i kept pushin back to try get his penis our of the sheath and every time i did urine amd more crystals would come out. I havent seen anyone suggest you try cuttin your guys pizzle. There are you tube videos on it and unless he is very swollen like ours was that might help. The crystals sometimes get caught in that and block the flow. When the vet came out for my pneumonia lady this week we talked and she said that was a good thing to do on them if you had problems. So hopefully it never happens again. But it if does i know what my second defense after more AC will be... cut the pizzle before he gets swollen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts