peeugh smell stinky time again!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Graffogefarms, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms Active Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Ok - don't know why I never noticed it any other years so much but my god this year it is awful, yeah _ I know I should have an extra set of clothes for the "buck" handling, but being a mom - don't always get the chance to change between school runs. Neighbour offered us a garden across the road, so moved the boys there, but I can't get the smell off me! lol :wink: Feel sorry for any fool that comes near me! lol. They will probably run a mile! Anyone got any ideas, don't really feel like wasting my last bottle of beautiful. Will the goats milk soap work to get rid of the smell? Just brought Wodin back over, and he is trailer with dotty and vinca, - the love shack! My own 2 legged kids won't come near me - and I send them into the store now.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Don't know if you have it available to you, Dawn dishsoap, the original blue stuff works good. Also try a spritz of plain old vinegar then was up. As far as clothes go, the only thing I found that truly works is changing them.....oh and if you have long hair as I do, keeping it pulled back will help keep it from absorbing the buckiness....found out the hard way! Was doing hoof trims and then afterwards washed up and changed my clothes, could still smell buck. DH had a good whiff from my hair when I got a hug from him.

3. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    check out a Good Will near you and see if they have an old Lab coat.... much like you see Doctor's wearing. Hang this near the buck pen and before you even go in there, put on that coat. It will save having to change your clothes........ that's what I do cause I usually head to work right after doing chores in the morning.

Oh - and have a specific pair of boots to wear in the buck pen cause the smell sticks on your shoes too.

I learned this last year after my first season of having a buck. Never really thought of the smell until I had to sit with myself for the 45 minute drive to work........ ugh.... good thing I keep a change of clothes at work or they would have sent me home.

GoJo (like mechanics use to clean hands) works to get the smell off of your hands.

Tide laundry soap with OxyClean added to the water before adding clothes helps to get the smell out of your laundry.

Yep - it's that time of year again!

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Toothpaste helps to get the smell off your hands as well.
    beth

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    toothpaste works great..so does dawn dishsoap

6. goatsrcute

goatsrcute New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lol I love reading how crafty farmers are. Who would have thought about using toothpaste as a hand soap :slapfloor: ?

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Who knows...i always wonder these kinds of things too. Like who decided to be the first person to drink goat milk?
    Another thing i have done to keep the stink of my bucks down is clip them in the last weeks of summer. Getting all that hair off them seems to help. My bucks never really stink, but i have such a small herd i only keep a couple bucks at a time, usually a kid and a yearling or two year old. Mature bucks tend to stink more. As do bucks who are housed with other bucks. I think they feel the need to pee on themselves more because of the compition.
    beth

8. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    hehe lovely time again.....
    this is mad,,,but it dose seem to work only if you got of course :ROFL: Wormwood plant, it had a spicy smell stronger than the buck smell ..... i just rub the raw leaves wherever i got buck on me :slapfloor:
    grows prolifically over here.....so pose to be good for worming ... but a joke to get it down......it is otherwise know as THE BITTEREST HERB :wink:

9. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    We went out yesterday to look at a herd of pygmies a neighbor is selling. You could smell the billy the minute we got out of the car. Ugh. I had a really bad experience with our billy...he almost killed me (long story). Now I'm sensitive to that smell. Even at that, this one was ripe. Driving in to pick up EMS supplies, I'd still get a whiff hours later, even though I wasn't around any other goats. And I didn't even touch him. Some of it has to be psychological.

Even when it's not breeding season, I can still taste billy musk in the meat. It would be a boom to the meat goat industry if you could breed a goat buck that didn't smell, or not as bad. Nannies and wethers don't put on the muscle mass, but definitely taste better.

But, even if you could breed out the smell, amp a male goat up on androgen hormones and they're going to fight. Canceling out the benefit of the extra body mass. Not sure what you could do about the temperament.

Too bad, because the intact boys definitely bulk up fast. We smoked one at our fire department fund raiser last year. He wasn't quite at the age when he started smelling bad, but was still bigger than the nannies and wethers.

Wonder if there are any breeds that don't smell as bad as others? You can scratch pygmies and Boers off that list. Whew.

10. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

I just saw my precious little Bubba Gruff pee all over his face. He's only 4.5 months old and was hoping I could not have to witness this for some months longer. I was moving the bucks and the does came close and poor Bubba felt compelled to show off. Bubba still smells sweet though, at least before he started peeing.

Does this behaviour mean one or both of my does are in heat? One seems more interested than usual. I don't want any breeding until late December or early January but would like to be able to see when the girls are in heat.

11. Ariel301

Ariel301 Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    My little six month old buck pees all over himself pretty much every time I am looking, so I know he's doing it when I'm not around too. He doesn't have any smell to him at all though. Maybe he just hasn't gotten his stink yet.

12. shoutforjoy

shoutforjoy New Member

Jun 27, 2009
    How long does a buck keep peeing on themselves and stinking? This is my first year having goats, i got a 10 month old buck who has been peeing on himself since August and trying to mate any goats he can. Is this a year round thing or only in the fall months? Thank for any info.

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    bucks usually do this during rutt which is fall to early winter.

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With my boys...pygmy and Nigerians....They continually pee on themselves year round. Not as much in the spring/summer but will still be "bucks" even when not in full rut. Late July to late January are the WORST months for rut my pygmy buck ends up with ice in his beard from the pee freezing on it :sick: