The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I woke up to my niece frantically telling me that Peggy Sue had frothy bloat and they needed me right away. I ran half naked to the goats to find Peg happily Hoovering up the last of the morning grain next to a pile of frothy white vomit. She did cough a bit from time to time, which was the tip off that she'd choked again, and her soft belly ruled out bloat.

Relieved, I went back inside only to find two puddles of bloody pee. I examined everyone, and no one acted sick. Holly and Jean Paul were playing and Peg was begging for food. I gave the pee command and Peg and JP both peed normal yellow pee. Holly doesn't take the command. Jean Paul does have some pink spots on his hooves on one side, so I don't know if he did the bloody pee or just stepped in it.

What could cause bloody pee? Peggy Sue is in heat, do they bleed? Jean Paul is a wether, but I SAW him pee normal healthy pee. Can it come and go? Any ideas?

Help guys, I'm really scared for my babies. :(

·
Super Moderator
58,246 Posts
They wouldn't pee blood when in heat. Have you taken any temps yet? I would just keep an eye on them and figure out which one did that.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've watched two of them pee with no blood. I am pretty sure it isn't Holly, but I'll keep watching til I see her pee.

Could something make them pee blood only once or twice, then be fine?

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
Does Jean Paul get grain? I'm glad he peed for you. As for Peggy Sue I would consider sticking some BIG rocks in her food so she has to slow down, or use one of those slow down doggy bowls ... what a scare, I'm so sorry!

It's possible if they aren't peeing blood anymore, that someone passed a stone. Does get stones too, they just pass them easier.

·
11,072 Posts
I think I've seen a post on here, someone had one instance of pink pee and then no more. Are they all drinking well? Could it have been something they got into?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Jean Paul gets some oats and sweet feed. Maybe a cup a day total. Peggy Sue is in milk, so she gets 4 cups a day separately from the others. JP, Holly, and Peg split a couple handfuls of grain throughout the day, and a small scoop at lunchtime.

Peg is going to be 3 in October, JP and Holly are about 4 months old.

Edit: I give them grain at lunch to keep them out of the horse's way when I grain him. He drops a lot and never gets the chance to Hoover it up if goats aren't distracted.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I've seen a post on here, someone had one instance of pink pee and then no more. Are they all drinking well? Could it have been something they got into?
I did discover an empty water bowl afterwards. Normally I am all over the goat care and know everything going on, but I have a new baby so I've had to delegate. Unfortunately everyone thinks I am overprotective of my goats and ignore my instructions when they don't feel like doing it right. :(

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Are they on pasture where they might have eaten something? I have heard that buttercup can cause bloody pee. Mine eat it all the time and don't pee blood, but that was just an example. My biggest concern would be the wethers having UC problems. I don't know how that could fit in with the vomit though.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are they on pasture where they might have eaten something? I have heard that buttercup can cause bloody pee. Mine eat it all the time and don't pee blood, but that was just an example. My biggest concern would be the wethers having UC problems. I don't know how that could fit in with the vomit though.
They share 2 acres with my horse. He's out all night grazing, so there is rarely anything new for them to eat when they get out in the late morning, though it's possible.

My wether pees on command, and I watched him pee. No blood or straining. Vomiting was PROBABLY due to choke and just a coincidence, but I wanted to include it in case it is a symptom.

The worst is I can't find the sick goat!:GAAH::hair:

·
11,072 Posts
I did discover an empty water bowl afterwards. Normally I am all over the goat care and know everything going on, but I have a new baby so I've had to delegate. Unfortunately everyone thinks I am overprotective of my goats and ignore my instructions when they don't feel like doing it right. :(
Sometimes darker pee can be caused by not having enough water. I'd give them some water with juice to encourage plenty of drinking. :)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
well, the other day I saw my buckling inhale some alfalfa pellets really quickly, and choke b/c it went down the wrong pipe or it went in the wrong way. he coughed for a bit trying to get it out. I was watching in case I needed to intervene, but he eventually got it out, but also puked a little during the ordeal while he was trying get that thing out of his throat. it was foamy and green from alfalfa. he was absolutely fine...now he eats a little slower and chews his food. lesson learned for him!

maybe someone tried to eat something too fast, got it stuck in their throat, and puked a little while trying to get it out??

i'm not sure about the pee situation.

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
On the foamy vomit: when a goat gets choked from either eating grain too fast or something stiff like a stem it can cause this...The blockage ,even if it is there for a few seconds form foam...the goat gets the feeed or what ever out by coughing but still has to deal with the foam...many time they shake their head and throw their head down ward and cough until they get a clean path way...then things settle..

As for the blood..I havehad a doe who some how got a small cut on her girlie part...could hardly notice but I saw her peeing and saw blood mixed with it..upon closeinspection found the cut...she only had blood a few times and each time it was less..

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
The foamy pile you saw was likely from a piggie choking :) I've had that happen when kids start to eat alfalfa pellets.

Also... it may not have been bloody urine at all, I've seen instances where at some point the liver stores of iron and copper release too quickly into the blood stream, leading the kidneys to work overtime to filter urine, that in itself can cause a dark rusty, almost like bloody urine.
If no one has a temp or there are no obvious signs of UTI or kidney infection then I'd say it was likely a dump of body stores.

·
2,203 Posts
Great post Liz. Was going to cover that topic as well.

Sometimes if restricted to water sources like bottle raised calves/goats sometimes can be, when given full resources to water their kidneys go into overdrive and can't process properly all that's going in. Happens with the boss' weaned calves. Limited two gallons water every day (one gallon every 12 hours), then all the sudden put in a pen with free water source. They drink till they shiver and look bloated. The first week we always expect bloody appearing urine.

Could always take a temp to rule out fever/ infection.

To make them pee, slide your two fingers up and down vigorously under the vulva, emphasizing more on the upward stroke. The stimulation is similar to what momma does, and is how we take urine samples here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts