The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the long awaited video of Peggy Sue's best trick!

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
too cute!!!

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
That is too funny , lol Just a quick question here , could you possibly have too much free time ? :coffee2:;):p:D
Is PeggySue jealous of her new little sister yet ?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is too funny , lol Just a quick question here , could you possibly have too much free time ? :coffee2:;):p:D
Is PeggySue jealous of her new little sister yet ?
I had too much time on my hands when Peggy Sue was a brand new baby. My only kid was 13 and I was a stay-at-home urban mom. ;)

Luckily Peggy Sue just considers Amélie an immature doeling and completely ignores her. The baby never sits in her chair or eats her grain, so they're cool. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, next time someone tells you goats aren't trainable, show them that video!

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
I would love to know how you trained her to do that lol..

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would love to know how you trained her to do that lol..
Well, I got her when she was 3 days old and I started training right away. In addition to giving her the no command, "nyet", and moving her outside when she would try to pee in the house, I would also wait until she peed and say, "Do yer peeps, Peggy Sue!" After she peed I would verbally praise her with exaggerated inflection (like on the video). She was with me 24/7 so within a couple weeks she had the idea and the phrase "do yer peeps" became her cue to squat and pee.

Because we traveled a lot and took Peg out to lunch and to outdoor concerts it was very important that I could make sure she peed at appropriate times/places. No one wants to wait in a parking lot for 20 minutes waiting for yer goat to pee!

This doesn't work for all goats. Of the 6 goats I've raised only Peggy Sue takes the command every single time, but Peg has learned a number of tricks very easily and is VERY intelligent. Her son, Jean Paul, will pee if he sees her take the command; her daughter, Holly, has never understood the command and I was unable to potty train at all. It seems that the better a goat is at "goat things" the less trainable, but if yer goat watches you and mimics your behavior they take training easily. I did have one other doe, Janet, who would take the command, but only from me. Peg takes it from anyone she is familiar with.

While I love the commands "up", "be people", "crabwalk", and "pirouette" (sp), "do yer peeps" is by far the most impressive and the one I get the most attention for! :D:cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Haha lol so cute! My goat is like potty trained to when ever I take it out and say go potty he goes like right after that! But I didn't train him to do that! And when we are in the car he whines when he has to go to the bathroom and we let him out and he goes!!! He is soooo smart

1 - 13 of 13 Posts