The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really worried about Peg!

My mom woke me up because she was screaming her head off this morning, and she's been crying ever since. Sometimes she shouts frantically, mostly she just bleats normally, but she keeps it up pretty constantly. She's also not acting right. When I let her in the main house instead of making a beeline for the kitchen she wandered around the family room and the music room crying softly for a while. She also stopped for a long time to sniff the baby, who was on the floor, and she NEVER shows interest in the baby! She also was sweet to my mom, whom she hates. After a snack she started screaming, so I let her babies in to visit because I didn't know what to do and she let them nurse (they are 6 months old and bigger than her) then followed them back outside, still crying softly.

She hasn't got the huge hay belly she normally does by this time of day, and I do think I saw her tuck her rump under a few times. She isn't flagging her tail, but her pooch does look pink and swollen; maybe she's in heat. Her tail is up and she's moving around normally. Maybe a little more itchy than usual.

I have seen her eat, drink, poop, and pee; all normal. Can't get a temp yet because the goat thermometer broke. She was wormed recently. Hasn't been around strange animals, and since the lot behind us was cleared last year we haven't had any deer in the yard. Also, no obvious sore spots or injury.

What could be wrong?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!

Her previous heats were very mild. Just flagging, a little discharge, and flirting with my husband. Never seen her like this before.

Well, timing is good because I hear back about a Pygmy buck tonight, so maybe she'll have a date tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Flirting with your husband? Hahahaha!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She doesn't know she's a goat and my husband is the herd buck! She nickers, kisses, and struts around and flaunts her sexy goatness at him!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hope Peggy Sue is ok. We should be seeing babies from Buddy by the end of September hopefully.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now I feel silly for being so worried all day!

Peg is my first and only adult doe, so I don't have much experience with adults. I have previously bought 3 day olds and bottle raised, selling them at 4 months. Peg is my special perfect baby and I am terrified by even the littlest thing seeming off. Goats go downhill so quickly! A farmer I used to buy from told me once, "There's only two kinds of goats; healthy and dead." And what I've read here has proved him right so often!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hope Peggy Sue is ok. We should be seeing babies from Buddy by the end of September hopefully.
Glad he's working out for you! I can't wait to see what yer kids look like. Jean Paul and Holly Doe are beautiful, but definitely got it all from daddy. Not a pygmy characteristic between them!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Glad he's working out for you! I can't wait to see what yer kids look like. Jean Paul and Holly Doe are beautiful, but definitely got it all from daddy. Not a pygmy characteristic between them!
We did some more fence work after his last escape and haven't had any problems since then. And I love that he is easy to work with. After I showed him a couple of times that I wouldn't put up with him playing rough with me he hasn't done it again.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can't tell you how glad I am to hear that! He is such a sweety and I really wanted him to go somewhere he is appreciated. Everyone here has been pestering me about updates on Buddy for the last two weeks, but I've been too lazy and distracted to write, so thanks lots for the update. Send him all of our love and scritches. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts