Pellet only diet how much to feed per goat?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by trainhound, Nov 14, 2008.

1. trainhound

trainhound New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I have 7 nubian goats 1 two year old doe 2 eight month old whethers 2 nine month old does 1 five month old doe and finally 1 five month old buck. I've raised my nine month olds on a pellet only diet since they were weaned and everyone looks nice and healthy. When other goat breeders come over they always comment on how nice thier coats look and how healthy they are.

In my area the california high desert we pay $16-$19 a bale for alfalfa vs $12 a 50lb bag of 5/32 alfalfa pellets with a lot less waste. I would like to know how much pellets they should be eating a day, I have been giving them about 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket a day thats 4-5 3 quart scoops of pellets. I also mix in beet pellets from time to time and sweet feed.

so what do you think? I'll try to post pictures of my goats in the next couple of days.

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

if they look good then keep it up. however i did notice that you said you were mixing in dry beet pulp pellets every once in awhile. these really should be soaked as they do ezpand to tree to five times the size of when they are dry. So if this is not done before they eat its do that expanding in their stomach. I lost a doe to eating dry beet pulp pellets.
    beth

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree with Beth, if they are in good condition with the management, then keep it up.....I've never used the beet pellets so I can't comment on that. Another thing you can try to give them a bit of variety...treats, mine love oranges, apples, watermelon etc. In your area where theres no pasture or even decent priced hay this would have had to have been a "trial" for you to get it right :greengrin:

4. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Pellets only are fine. Know a couple of breed who feed pellets only or chaffhaye alfalfa http://www.hayinabag.com/chaffhaye_alfalfa.html. One is like you and lives in Mojave so it cheaper and easier for her to feed the pellets. She just start on the chaffhaye. All her goats are in great shape and place will at shows. Shelly