pellets vs real live alfalfa

Discussion in 'TGS Announcements & Help' started by nancy d, Oct 17, 2007.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Hows about a forum to post about feed, be it hay/alfalfa, pellets, minerals etc. And what has worked or not worked in individual cases?

Someone who feeds alfalfa pellets has just suggested it I should try them. Now Im thinking about all the waste of the alfalfa...but after adding up the cost its going to be about the same. No waste with the pellets but what are they going to do in the meantime..chew their hooves?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I say give them some alfafa pellets and some alfafa hay. in a pinch I feed jsut pellets but I like to know they have roughage for their rumen which the hay provides. Also I find that if they have less hay they waste less because they actually will pick through what they "wasted" and eat it.

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I agree Stacey!!! I give my girls a reasonable amount of hay but my boys are limited due to them wasting so much!!!!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my grandma even noticed. She was like if you feed them to much they don't eat it all just trample it, but if you only give them a limited ammount they eat it through the day and hardly waste a bit.