The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have an 11 month old doeling that started walking stiff a week ago. That progressed to back arching/hunching and we had a vet come out. The vet said she may have a small fracture on her pelvis because she had a pain response when one spot was touched. I asked about meningeal worm but the vet said it was probably a small fracture, 6-8 week heal time. The goat has since then gotten worse to where her back legs seem very weak/wobbly and she is alternating between dragging her back hooves or walking on her back knuckles. She can walk on all fours on her own but has been spending some time on her front knees, especially when getting up from a laying position. She is not walking on her knees as much as she was a few days ago. She does groan when she has to pee or poo, and when she moves from laying down to standing.

My question is (and I have a call in to the vet as well about this) should I suspect meningeal worm because of the wobbly legs? I also pulled at least 8 ticks off her in the last 2 days from her neck, and lyme is definitely in our area.

Thank You!

Dana & Vindaloo (the goat)

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Oh dear, so many possibilities with these symptoms.

My top guesses are Meningeal Worm or Selenium Deficiency. It doesn't scream Lyme to me.

Are you able to post any current photos of the goat?

What I would do right now:
check her rectal temperature with a digital thermometer
check her FAMACHA score
inject B-Complex subcutaneously, 6cc/100lbs
and tell us what you provide minerals & what her diet is

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh dear, so many possibilities with these symptoms.

My top guesses are Meningeal Worm or Selenium Deficiency. It doesn't scream Lyme to me.

Are you able to post any current photos of the goat?

What I would do right now:
check her rectal temperature with a digital thermometer
check her FAMACHA score
inject B-Complex subcutaneously, 6cc/100lbs
and tell us what you provide minerals & what her diet is
Thank You Katey,

I'll check her temp when I go back out and get a photo. Her temp was 103.3 on Thursday before the vet came out.

We've been giving her the sheep and goat liquid B-12 top dressed on her food, but she hasn't been eating much in the last 2 days so I gave her 10 cc in a syringe orally today. She is grazing but not as much as her sister, and has access to hay that she'll pick at. I mixed in a bit of alfalfa hay as well to encourage her to eat.

Feed is from the feed store - their own goat feed blend. I have the content breakdown tag I can upload, but it is what the goat farm I got her from uses. She gets 1/2 cup a day with some alfalfa pellets (1/2 cup). Recently she just picks out the alfalfa pellets.

Minerals - free choice Manna pro loose goat mineral and 1/2 scoop of the manna goat balancer.

Her FAMACHA score was a 3 last we checked on Thursday. She did have barber pole worms over the summer that we couldn't get under control, so she had just started putting on weight and looking healthy and active prior to the injury. She was severely anemic during that time, so even being a 3 is an improvement compared to where she was in August/September.

There is definitely a size difference between her and her sister though (she is much smaller ~20 lbs and has less muscle definition, especially her rump).

Poops look normal, hard oval shaped pellets.

Thanks,

Dana

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Goats with meningeal worm typically have good appetites, so that doesn't necessarily line up but I'm still concerned. How is she today? Post photos as soon as you are able. I hope she isn't getting worse.

Could you ask the vet for three doses of Banamine? I'm not sure why they didn't provide pain control if they suspected a pelvic fracture. If not from the vet, do you have any friends that own horses? They will usually have banamine on hand. Give 1cc per 100lbs injected subcutaneous once a day for three days in a row. Banamine will help her appetite as well.

Do you have Replamin Plus paste or Selenium gel on hand? Or can you get Bo-Se injection from the vet or a friend? If all she has ever had is Manna Pro loose minerals, she definitely needs additional selenium.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
If you even suspect MW, I would Treat Now. It wont hurt her to treat for it but the longer you wait if it is MW the harder for her to bounce back.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IMG_0057.JPG

Photo from today. The vet has her on 1/2 a 15mg tabled of meloxicam 1x a day. Her poops are now clumping into pine cones. I don't have either of those but can run to TS later if they have it. I ordered to give her if it is glucosamine and msm if it is a fracture.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Wow the way those back legs/feet are. I just can't see that being caused by a pelvic fracture because it's the same in both legs. I'm not sure. You & the vet are the ones hands on there but I really think you are seeing extreme selenium deficiency.

From Tractor Supply, check if your store has this:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/vets-plus-replamin-gel-plus-300-cc-tube?cm_vc=-10005

You need to buy an applicator gun in order to get that out of the tube. Administer to all your goats, not just her.

This is the second choice - the first one is much much better but if this is the only thing your store has then buy it:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-lamb-kid-selenium-vitamin-e-gel-52983?cm_vc=-10005

You can click directly on those links and choose the blue "Check Availability at Other Stores" to see if your store location has it.

Do the doelings have free access to the outdoors?
Re-check her FAMACHA and rectal temperature today to monitor for changes.

Could you post a few photos of her twin so we can check for visual signs of mineral deficiency?
Are these Boers or mixed breeds?

I would have a fecal analysis done on both of them, expecially since this gal is under-sized. A big worm issue could have developed since you treated her over the summer for Barber Pole even though her FAMACHA has gone from 5 to 3. It looks like there is some staining on her tail.

She also needs additional copper (see how the fur on her ears and around her eyes is lighter color?). If you can, purchased copper bolus while you are at Tractor supply and administer to all your goats: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-copasure-2g-24-ct-63323?cm_vc=-10005 Or order the larger 4 gram size online.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sister photo attached. She is at least 20lbs heavier and much larger in general. We had Vindaloo in the shelter earlier so she could eat with out the other one (Burrito) eating her food.

FAMANCHA is 2-3, temp 103.3. She (both) were bolused back in the early summer w/ a kids portion, 2g. I gave her 10cc of power punch this morning.

Just lifted her tail, she had some staining and a few berries underneath. Looks like it may be looser than this morning (pine cone).

They have access to pasture and shes laying out there now.

They are Boer Savanna cross I believe.

What size bolus should she get? She's probably about 30lbs.

IMG_0058.JPG

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
They can both have another 2gram copper bolus.
If you get the Replamin, give them 5cc daily for a week then give it weekly.

I definitely suspect parasites in combination with selenium deficiency. There are laboratories you can mail fecal samples to, they cost $10 plus shipping. Not sure what your veterinarian charges for a fecal analysis but it's important they check for coccidia in addition to the regular worms.

I'm concerned about her long-term feasibility as a breeding doe (if that is your plan for her...). 30 pounds at 11 months is not a good weight for Boer crosses.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Katey. We're not going to breed her, and we're on the fence about her sister. We originally bought them as meat goats but it looks like they are pets now. I'll order the replamin gel now, it looks like stores near me do not carry either.

I found a lab online that I could mail to (Mid America Ag Research?), if you know any please let me know. (I'm not allowed to post links yet)
I'm going to call my vet and see what they charge as well.

Thank you again for your help, I truly appreciate it.

Dana

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
I agree with Salty..I would treat for selenium and add cod liver oil to the mix and an extra vit e cap. Just poke a hole in the vit e gel cap and squeeze in her mouth.

"Cod Liver Oil contains high amounts of vitamin A, Vitamin D, and certain enzymes. It cures and prevents contracted tendons, rickets, and muscle cramping…
30# kid..1/2 cc twice daily for 3 days then twice a week for 2 weeks"

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Question. I have been giving them manna pro goat balancer along with their regular ration in the am. Should I worry about selenium toxicity? I wish I could upload a video of her walking. It looks like she is barely using/dragging her back legs now.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
No you don't need to worry about selenium toxicity due to the Manna Pro Balancer. Balancer is primarily a protein source.

In the majority of the USA, goats need more selenium and copper supplementation above and beyond what's available in their grain and their loose minerals.

Get the Cod Liver Oil and E capsules from a human pharmacy as suggested above. Those help absorb available selenium.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. I crunched the numbers (should have paid more attention in chemistry class) and the selenium for the balancer is way under the recommended max amount. I'm looking for liquid cod oil, do you think soft caps are ok if i poke a hole and squirt it in her mouth? She did eat most of her food this morning so that is a slight improvement.

Thank you all again for taking time to answer my questions and help figure this out. I'm not on facebook and don't have anyone in my circle that knows anything about goats.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
@happybleats do you still think she should treat for Meningeal Worm as a precautionary? I'm just not sure it fits the mold. I'm trying to think of those users who have had recent battles with Meningeal Worm to provide input. Was it @Goats Rock ?

@mariarose do you think selenium deficiency is the issue at hand here?

@DanaC , I would consider increasing their grain & alfalfa rations. Protein helps them fight and recover from anemia due to parasites, in addition, due to their small 11 month size it won't hurt. Are these the only two goats you have? If yes, no harm in going to free choice alfalfa pellets alongside their free choice hay & minerals. Then increasing the daily grain serving.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok. I have an appointment with the vet to take her in for an x-ray as well. Hopefully she starts improving. The vet thinks it may be a spinal injury.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@happybleats do you still think she should treat for Meningeal Worm as a precautionary? I'm just not sure it fits the mold. I'm trying to think of those users who have had recent battles with Meningeal Worm to provide input. Was it @Goats Rock ?

@mariarose do you think selenium deficiency is the issue at hand here?

@DanaC , I would consider increasing their grain & alfalfa rations. Protein helps them fight and recover from anemia due to parasites, in addition, due to their small 11 month size it won't hurt. Are these the only two goats you have? If yes, no harm in going to free choice alfalfa pellets alongside their free choice hay & minerals. Then increasing the daily grain serving.
These are the only two we have, and we are first time goat owners. Her sister is a porker compared to her, so I hesitate to have free choice pellets out because Burrito will just gobble it up. They have access to hay and pasture at all times, and a little alfalfa hay mixed in. I can up Vindaloo's pellet ration, she seems to pick them out first anyway.

The vet said her symptoms don't fit meningeal worm, especially the pain she has. She also said the copper and selenium can't hurt, so if the replamin doesn't get here by Saturday I'll ask for her to treat it. Also going to get fecals run.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts