The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this doe who is 18 months, a Nubian, who doesn't seem to come into heat. Last year, her heats were weird, she was flagging and standing for the bucks and no one was interested, that was only one time. Any time she had any discharge, she was put with the bucks and would run. Never got her bred. This year I had does coming in heat in June. She hasn't yet but her and an older doe are now "living" with the buck. I check every day, twice a day for evidence. I watch them from the house to see if he's going after them. I haven't seen anything.

Yesterday I got home from an all day trip. Her white belt was kind of dirty and wet feeling. Her tail hair was dirty, but no other messiness on her backside. The buck wasn't showing any interest but his face was soaked from a good dousing of his cologne. Bever saw any interest at all.

Has anyone had the buck breed and be done and that was it? I wrote it on the calendar but I don't feel confident it happened. In my limited experience, the doe always has a good bit of ickiness on her backside...but nothing here except a dirty tail and possibly dirty sides. He's bred 2 others already and he was constantly on the girl the entire day they were in with him. He didn't do his thing and then lose interest completely.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And for reference, she gets free choice super high copper minerals, copper bolus, replamin, alfalfa all day, and I even did some LA200 recently just-in-case of some kind of repo-infection. (Worked great on an older doe I had)

·
8,175 Posts
Yes, I've had the one and done. I really like to see at least 3 mounts. The first is clearing the pipes, 2nd gets the job done and 3rd is just an extra.

But, I have one doe that is a total hussy. She screams, she yells, wags, has copious clear discharge, backs up,to a fence in hopes there might be a buck (there isn't, bucks are in another barn), she is totally whacko when in heat. I take her to,the buck, or vice versa, and he gets one chance. Wham bam, ok get away, no more. She turns off like a light. The buck just stands there, but, but, but?

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
That may or may not be it. I've witnessed good breedings only to realize that the goat got pregnant on another date because of when she kidded. I would keep the buck in with them for at least a month to be sure he is in with them for a full cycle.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That may or may not be it. I've witnessed good breedings only to realize that the goat got pregnant on another date because of when she kidded. I would keep the buck in with them for at least a month to be sure he is in with them for a full cycle.
Yes I intend to give her months in there.

I usually too try to get 3 breedings in. I got so tired of trying to tell if she was in heat, I just had her live with him. I figured he would know for sure. I was just confused with this tail that looked like she either had discharge or he got her. Along with the dirty sides. But...his disinterest was throwing me off. So....IDK. I wrote or down but I'm going to watch her for the next month or two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts