Pen or pasture?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Predominantly in a pen/yard?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Predominantly in a paddock/pasture?

100.0%
  1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Just looking at everyone's photos in the background plus a few things people have said got me curious ...

How many of you house your goats mainly in a pen/yard system?
    How many of you keep your goats in pastures/paddocks?

By pen/yard I'm thinking as in a small yard giving them enough room to run around but requiring that you bring them all their food. By paddock or pasture I mean the area is large enough that they predominantly get all their nutrition from what grows.

Under normal circumstances mine are all kept and fed in paddocks. But we have had drought here for the last six years, and the last year have had no feed whatsoever, so at the moment they are penned and fed.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh rats, I chose the wrong one - mine would be yard / paddock, as they have a huge area to play, but only get a bit of food in spring - I typically supply everything for them.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    We have ours out on 7 acres, it's just a dry lot at the moment, but has some grass. We didn't get our water hooked up this spring so we've been supplying hay, next year we will plant grass out there and have mainlines that run along the end to water it. Hopefully that will supply them almost year round.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have mine on ...Predominantly in a paddock/pasture...on...8 acres..I also am lucky enough to have irrigation available....to me anytime ..I order the morning before... then get water the next morning....this is usually summertime only......This year for my area in California.... has been drought like conditions ....and they put us on a limit...with water.....and of course they raised prices on us.....winter time I do not irrigate though...I feed them hay....and they eat what comes up volunteer ... :)

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i keep mine in pens according to pecking order, and gender. i feed them in the fall-spring, summer they go out side all day long and graze in larger pens / yards, or the does and staked out where we can see them with kids loose, our LGD protects them well, kids dont go far anyway. too afraid to leave them alone!

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am considering purchasing mobile pens that are electrified and hooking them up to solar so that I can pen out in the back area and let them graze more.

The "goatie grandma" down the hill is going to take the bucks and 2 wethers in the summer and they will go and be tied out during the day to graze down there on their overgrowth and come home at night. I am hoping to have a small "goat trailer" and teach them to "load up" for morning and night trip up the hill (it is about 1/2 mile straight UP!)

7. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Right now they're in a pen since it's too cold for them to be out in the pastures right now though but some can go in and out all year round though.

8. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
  9. Candy

Candy New Member

Mine have about a 50 sq ft fenced area but they are let out twice a day to brouse. We have 5 acres. 4 acres are wooded with LOTS of good stuff all spring, summer and fall. Winter time means grain & hay.
    Candy :sun:

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I guess we do both. They have a huge goat yard w/ their barn and are let out on the 3 acre, green pasture just about every day, when it's not raining. There is a lot of grass on there now because we had some good rain. We still give hay year-round but a smaller amount in the summer.

11. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    We have over 20 acres but the goats stay in a pen/yard most of the time. I let them out to browse when I am home and can supervise. I would not feel safe leaving them out in a pasture due to predators (coyotes/ neighbor's dogs). Their yard is very well constructed and I am confident that it would take a lot of work for a predator to get into it...I cannot afford to make a large pasture that secure.

12. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    pens.. but large pens at that.. i think my doe pen is 30 x 40 and thats for 8 nigerians. i also have a pen used for breeding /weaning that can be 14 X 30 or 14 by 7 depending on where i move the gates, when its 14 x 7 the other half of the pen is accessed by the nigerian does.

the bucks pen for the three of them is probably 20 x 6.

and the boers pen is 20 x 14 or so.. for 5

no grass really will grow down here except in spring

13. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Ours are pens mostly- a 100X100 for about 10 does and a buck, a 20X30 fof 1 buck-a 50X50 for a buck and 2 does (breeding pen) 50X30 for a buck and 1 doe (breeding pen)and a 100X100 for about 12 does with their kids. we are out of room and carry everything to them- there is a little grass, but not much- We hope to move onto our 12 acres by Spring-10 of that is wooded though-bad for us-good for the goaties!

14. Candy

Candy New Member

DUH :hammer: I didn't mean 50 X 50 ft
    Candy :sun:

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a big pen :greengrin: it is dry lot so I provide all that they need for food

16. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I would have to say pen, about 100 x 100 then in the spring we will make it a bit smaller as we just opened it up so they could clean up an garden we had there.
    I supply all grain and water, hay during winter or when it rains for days on end and they dont go outside to graze

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My 6 girls are in a 70x 26 ft pen, including their barn....I have always fed grain and hay though not as much thru the summer. Just this past July, we added a 1200 square feet of 4 strands of electric for them to access through a gate at the top of their yard....they had access to this til snow started flying. My 3 boys are in a 30x20 pen til we get their electric pasture put up in the spring. Depending on the weather, I do let the boys out into my yard to browse when the girls are in their non electric pen. They only roam "free" when I am outside or in/out of the house often enough to keep an eye on where they wander.....which is not far from the girls..lol

18. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine
    My 2 girls are in a yard. There is still grass in it, actually, although no weeds/brush. I wish they had a nice big pasture- they don't seem to care lol. Their only big complaint with the arrangement is that they aren't right next to our house! (they are about 1/2 acre behind it lol.. not close enough for them).

Meghan

19. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    My girls are in a pen about 3200 sq. ft. and my bucks are in a pen about 2000 sq. ft. The pens can be divided so that I can separate the boys during breeding season, and the kids from their moms when it's time to wean. The buck pen is fairly new and I'm not real happy with it because the ground never seems to dry out (I live in a very swampy area), so I'm most likely going to tear it out and rebuild somewhere else. I just have to figure out where that somewhere else is going to be since we only own six acres, two of which are pond, one is wooded (right next to where the pen is located now) and we've got four buildings including our mobile home and four barns of various sizes on the rest. The girl's pen has some grassy areas in it that the kids graze on, but the adults all prefer to eat the alfalfa hay that I put out for them. There isn't enough browse out there for them to survive on. My husband and I have talked about asking our neighbor if we could lease the 10 acres of fallow land she owns adjacent to our land, but so far we haven't done anything more than talk about it. Actually leasing it would mean that we would also have to put up fencing and probably get an LGD since there are coyotes and possibly bears and cougars around here. All that would take money that we just don't have presently.

20. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Oh my gosh, Pam B! I know what you mean about the coyotes! There are tons of them around here...we see or hear them almost every night!

And, yeah, just a couple months ago there was an attack on a horse near Jackson...they were pretty sure it was a cougar because of the horse's injuries...this really worries me.