pen questions

Discussion in 'Barnyard Bananza' started by billmac, Mar 24, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    For those of you with pens in your barn, how high do you make them? Do you make them out of wood, or wire?

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Do you mean like kidding pens? In our barn, we just make them out of hog panels(the short ones) and connect the corners with clips. Works for us, and they are very temporary, so we can just put them up and take them down when we want them.

3. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I was thinking more of permanent pens. Some for kidding, some for separating males and females, isolating sick animals, etc.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wood and wire is what I will be doing

5. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I was lucky and a friend of mine had a roll of 5' chainlink bout 50-60 feet worth with those privacy slats. But I mad a kid pen for the bottle baby out of the 6" concrete mesh. However after day two baby was walking so good she walked right throught the openings. Which I then covered with chicken wire.

6. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    my permanent pens are made with 2 x 4 for the uprights etc and then pallet slats pried off pallets and screwed on to the 2 x 4s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We used 1 x 4's for the walls and then use a hog panel cut smaller for the doors to the pens. Works good. :)

8. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Lesserweevil.......I love your pens, how nice!

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have 2 permanent wood stalls made for kidding and the area in front of those is for the milkstand and directly beside them is my grain barrels, open/bred does have a common area sepated from these by a half wall and the bucks have a shed built onto the backside of the doe barn.

10. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Nice pens!! :greengrin: I use field fence and chain link. Works good.

11. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

I would live in your goat pens weevil :cool: very nice. Hope my goats never see those pics!

12. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    All of our pens vary in size though and they're made out of wood with chain link fencing as well and some cattle panels too.

13. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Beautiful! *dies of jealousy*