The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have tried every kind of fencing made to try to keep our LaMancha buck in a pen. No matter what we try we end up with him in the doe barn & pens. He will jump 6 ft electric fences to get in with the does. Now everyone is cycling year round. :mad: And kidding way too often!

Someone told us to take silky cord and tie one set of opposite legs then he can get around but not jump a fence. No luck! I am ready to tie a leg to his "you know" and see if that keeps him where he belongs. (Not really but the thought is amusing.)

Any ideas on how to keep this guy where he belongs?

·
1,524 Posts
A smaller area so he can't get enough momentum to jump 6'?

Line the inside of the fence line with a couple of strands of HOT electric fence wire?

Line the top of the fence with a couple of lines of E fence wire (hot) that sort of angles back into the pen (like the top of a prison fence). When it angles back, they can't jump or climb over it.

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
You can put fencing or hot wire at a 40 degree angle pf the top of the fence so that he does not see the opportunity to get over the fence. Are you sure he is jumping it or is he just walking through it?

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
I put my escape artist ND buck in 8 ft chainlink...partly 'cause it worked and partly 'cause that's the only height we had :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
My buck was the same way and I ended up having to take him to someone else's place that has pipe fencing with electric wire on top and one string in the middle-he's finally met his match although she's moving so I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I can't sell him by the end of June!!:goattruck:

·
The farm that Hope began
2,799 Posts
Yeah it can be a real pain. We have REALLY HIGH fencing for the buck pen, yet it never fails, we sometimes have an escape and what we call "inappropriate relations" and get mixed breed kids.

·
14,760 Posts
If you are using strands of electric, I'd think you need to get some regular fencing.

At some horse farms they have a double fence, it serves a couple of purposes, but helps keep horses from considering jumping.

I can't find the picture, but we had a Boer buck that would climb the fence. Drove me crazy. We ended up rigging up 2x4's/etc. to the fence posts and making it about 8' tall, and put chicken wire all around it. It leaned in towards the pen, and kept him from getting out.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Think I will try angling some in at him. He is definatly jumping it. An old farmer that lives out by us told us to tie on ankle to the opposite back ankle (whith some slack) then he would not be able to jump but still be very mobile. Got soft rope, like curtian tie backs and tried it. Didn't work. Asked the gentleman what to try next and he said he had never had that not work. He said, "If he was mine I would sell him, unless you try tying his ankle to something else I won't mention!" LOL Think I will put him where he can't see the girls and angle the fence in. Fingers crossed!

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
What he really needs might be a buddy. Our buck has another buck and his brother in with him at all times. He has only jumped 4 foot fence before. keep him far from the girls with a wether pet or some other companion and he will use his buddy for a friend ;)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
wow....never knew these boys are so eager to get to the ladies!

btw - the title of this thread sounds like a game show!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He has two other bucks in the pasture with him. Jumped the fence again last night and I put him back twice. I have my Aussie on guard. Hoping we can get him to jump back into the pasture once herded that direction. Got to make changes to the fence!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my two males! I haven't seen them actually jump the fence but there are no loose spots for them to get under. All I can figure is they are going over it. We have 4 ft fencing. They are getting out about twice a day now :(

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the one buck that is in with the girls all the time now. I just can not keep him in! He's the best of my sires but moms that kidded in December are coming up with a second kidding and they are all little black LaManchas. :-/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts