Penicilin

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Nupine, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    What is the very MAX amount of penicilin an adult 120 pound doe can have? Thanks!
    Ashlyn

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    1cc per 20lbs so that would be 6ccs of pen

You can't OD her on it though

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Ashlyn.
    What are you giving Penn for? Is someone sick?

4. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    OK thanks. The vet said 2 cc for our little doe. So I figured 6 cc would be good for Hannah, I didn't want to OD her so I just had to check. She has dry mastitis which she has had since she was a wee little kid and is now almost 2. I am trying pen now because 12 tubes of the cows stuff and 4 powerful shots didn't work. It seems to be helping a tad. Our vet who has is about 50-60 has seen just about everything in the book. But he is completly baffled by my doe. Do any of you know of the best mastitis stuff there is? Would love to know.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

If she isn't bred you can try LA 200, it will burn a little bit, they really don't like it but its a very high powered antibiotic and i have seen it do wonders for things like mastitis and hoof rot.
    You can also add some vitamin C to her diet, my goats really like the orange flavored tablets.
    beth

6. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    She is bred. Thanks though!

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can use LA 200 on a bred doe I read this recently oh I wish I knew where.............

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    YES, LA 200 is safe for Pregnant does like Stacey said.

9. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    nupine you need to take a milk sample from the udder and send it in for testing. pennecillin injection isn't doing anything. is this doe tested for cae?
    of course if positive, this kind of mastitis is not curable.

10. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    This doe has been tested twice, both negative. But she tested positive for mastitis. She has it bad, but the penicillen is helping a little. I heard LA-200 is hardly better than giving a goat water on Fiasco Farms, is that true? I will post pics tonight, it is hard to explain what it looks like, but it is very lopsided.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    No LA 200 is extremely strong med so it works great against infections. I don't know why Fiasco Farms says that but I have not found it to be true in my own use of the product.

12. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    nupine what kind of bacteria could they grow? they should have given you a treatment recommendation with the result. who did the test?
    like i said in earlier post, different strains of bacteria need different treatment.
    what kind of bedding do you use? how often do you clean it out?

13. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  14. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007