The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Northeast Ohio, and my goats came down with colds after the county fair. Most are not better 2 weeks later. Started penicillin because my friend lost one of his, and the vet says she has been treating a lot of pneumonia. Not sure if I am giving the right dose 1cc per 25# once a day? It's the Durvet stuff you buy at tractor supply. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
Honestly, get Draxxin from your vet. It is a 7 day shot. It will knock it right out. I actually did 2 shots for a full 14 day course.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
If you cant get the draxxin, or nuflor which are both RX grab Tylan 200 from Tractor supply 1 cc per 25# every 12 hours for a full five days...Penicillin isnt the best for Puenomia ...best wishes for a full recovery

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for help. I got LA 200 from the store and gave that. My friend said she uses that and if caught early it only takes one dose. But I fear that won't be our case. Thankfully it's an every other day med. I sprained my ankle today and will need to call on my friends for help!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
You are too late for the penicillin or LA 200 to clear this up. Your goats are developing pneumonia and for the penicillin to kick it out, it has to be given at the stage of first day of going off feed and at roughly double the dose you gave. In my experience LA 200 is worthless for any kind of pneumonia except mycoplasma, and that is generally only deteremined after Bayril, Nuflor, and Naxcel have been tried and failed. I agree with Karen, get some Draxxin - 1 cc/per 100 lbs given subq twice at 10 day intervals, and I suspect 7 day intervals might be better - and get your goat over this.

Happybleats, I disagree with your assessment of penicillin for pneumonia. If one is on top of their game and catches it when the goat is acting "off" and is off feed the first to second day, one dose of about 4 cc's/30 - 40 lbs of long acting penicillin will knock it out. I've done it many times with my herd. If used beyond that point, I fully agree that penicillin is useless for pneumonia.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Happybleats, I disagree with your assessment of penicillin for pneumonia. If one is on top of their game and catches it when the goat is acting "off" and is off feed the first to second day, one dose of about 4 cc's/30 - 40 lbs of long acting penicillin will knock it out. I've done it many times with my herd. If used beyond that point, I fully agree that penicillin is useless for pneumonia.
Problem is many times by the time one notices a goat is off that window of opportunity is gone;) best to get something stronger

As far as OTC meds, LA 200 is not as good IMO for pneumonia as Tylan 200 ..if you choose to use it do so daily for 5 days..not just one shot. Goats Metabolism is too fast for a one shot method. best wishes

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Draxxin is so wonderful. Any of mine that I have treated with it are completely better within 24 hrs. The drug works for several days to completely knock out the pneumonia and you don't have to turn your goat into a pin cushion ;) . I was just getting single doses from my vet, but finally broke down and bought a bottle this summer, 50 ml for $200 but the stuff works and it works fast.

Have you taken any temperatures on your goats? Pneumonia can be viral in which case an antibiotic won't really cure it but will prevent any secondary problems. If it has been 2 weeks and they still have snotty noses I would be getting some benadryl from WalMart (just the generic little capsules will work), get a pet pill popper, or just open the capsule and mix the powder with water and give each goat 1 capsule twice a day. It helps a lot with their stuffy noses, especially if it is partially caused by allergies. If they have high temps, get some banamine from your vet to give them to help with the fever and any inflammation in the lungs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts