Penicillin for Foul Discharge in Pregnant Doe?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Overplugged, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Overplugged

Overplugged New Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    My vet never answers his voicemail, and I have just determined that my doe has some foul smelling discharge.

She lost her mucus plug three weeks ago, and we don't exactly know her due date as she and the buck were running together when we got her. She is a 5 year old rescue goat and is getting out of a copper deficiency (I didn't bolus her yet because she is pregnant), and I am concerned about infection.

After she lost her mucus plug, there was a few hours of pink-tinged discharge which cleared up on its own, and became the normal-looking discharge of a goat about to kid.

She is eating just fine, drinking water just fine, eliminating just fine. She seems to be her normal self; bags are filling up every day. We gave her a CD/T shot about a week ago.

It's hard to take her temp by myself, as she's a slippery one and wasn't handled much before we got her. I would like to start her on penicillin ASAP but wanted to make sure that this wouldn't affect her pregnancy? I keep calling the vet, but no answer, and not many other vets know goats around here.

Please advise, and I understand that we don't have vets on this board. I know that experience can go a long way, though!

Thanks,
    Kimberly

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Go ahead and copper bolus her. Most people copper bolus 4 weeks prior to delivery when they do the CDT shot.

Is the foul smell coming from her back end? If there is a uterine infection going on, then there are probably dead kids in there. Penicillin would be the drug of choice for a uterine infection. I would get the vet out if you suspect that.

3. Overplugged

Overplugged New Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vet

Called the vet, he said to give her 3cc of penicillin. Yes, the smell was from the discharge from her vulva. It is slightly yellow at times, and other times white.

The vet does not appear worried, but he also made it clear that he wasn't about to come out and look, either, so I guess I am on my own here.

I checked, and she is not dilated at all. I can smell that infected smell in her stall. Her breath is normal and she is still eating.

I cannot feel any movement, but never could, so not sure how long these kids have been gone if that's the case. She appears to be very tender on her right side where kids could be but she was never very easy to touch near her udders anyway. Udders still filling up as we speak.

Any suggestions on making these kids come out on their own? I won't be wielding a scalpel or anything, but maybe exercise, prayer??????

4. ksalvagno

If everything is ok, you don't want them to come early. The problem is not knowing if things are ok or not. I'm kind of surprised that the vet won't come out and check her. Is there another vet you can call?

I really hate to say everything is ok or not ok because this is one of those times when it is really hard to diagnose over the internet. I would go with your gut on this.

5. Overplugged

Overplugged New Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vet

No other vets in my area deal with goats so I am on my own here.

I agree that I don't want kids to come early. Has anyone ever just had a pregnant doe with an infection that delivered normal kids? If that's the case, then I will relax a little.

My husband reminded me that it's only been two weeks since she lost her plug, so she could be close to kidding on her own. Although I am parked outside of her stall, I will wait and see what nature brings.

She is eating like she's never seen food before, so I am just hoping that she just has some icky in there that the penicillin will knock out.

Thanks.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    See if your husband will help you by holding her and take her temp. Make sure she does not have a temp

I hope she kids soon and you have beautiful babies.

7. Overplugged

Overplugged New Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Temp

Temp is 102.2. Thanks for your good wishes. Hope she just has some icky infection and that's all.

8. ksalvagno

She may have a UTI too. I would do the full course of Penicillin. The dosage is 1cc per 20 lbs twice a day.

9. Overplugged

Overplugged New Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    OK so here we are on Monday, and it's been 16 days since she lost her plug. The penicillin appears to be working, as the discharge is back to a normal color and is odorless now. We don't appear to be any closer to giving birth to anything!

I did check for dilation for the second time, and this time, although she doesn't appear to be dilated, my finger got in further than it did the first time, and the cervix felt more like a trampoline than the "end of my nose" feeling that it did before. Do goat cervixes thin out?

My husband thinks that I am bordering on insanity with this thing, so I'm trying not to overworry. We lost a (human) kid about this time last year, so I think he's expecting some sort of meltdown from me if things go wrong.

Thanks for all of your help.

10. rdmtnranch

rdmtnranch rdmtnfarms

Mar 4, 2013
    Utah
    Just wondering where you don't know her history but maybe she has chlamidia?

11. ksalvagno

I hope things go well and you have an normal kidding. Keep up on the Penicillin.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Goats can lose their plug,a month or so prior to kidding.

Is she getting sunken in at the tailhead area and is her udder tight?

Glad the Pen helped.

13. Overplugged

Overplugged New Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Penicillin

When she lost her plug two weeks ago, her sides sunk then. They haven't changed much since...her ligs are mostly soft but sometimes they are tighter than others, like they come and go, but still mostly squishy.

I don't think it's chlamydia, or at least she shows no symptoms of it, and I know you can't give penicillin and oxycycline at the same time, so I'm sticking with the penicillin.

Her udders are filling up, but this goat has had (and absorbed) sympathy milk in the past so not the best indication. I did notice that one is filled way more than the other, and they aren't shiny yet, just filling up. They don't seem to be increasing much in the past few days.

She doesn't appear to be in pain, is eating and drinking well, is agitated all day (it's hot here) and then seems to calm down at night.

I know that as soon as I get my mind off of her, she'll kid. Maybe today because my mind is on taxes!

Thanks all it's nice to have a sounding board.

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I know how you feel, waiting is torture. :(