The Goat Spot Forum banner

Penicillin G question

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  nancy d 
#1 ·
I have started my wether on Pen G for fever and upper respiratory infection.
I know I have to use it for 5 days minimum..do I give 2 shots a day or 1?
Different sources say different things. He weighs about 40 pounds and is getting 2.5 cc each shot IM.
I gave him one shot last night and one this morning. He has improved dramatically. I on the other hand am a nervous wreck.

Thanks, Kat C

#4 ·
you can do either - depending on the severity of the infection.

You can either cut the dosages in half and give twice a day OR give full dosages twice a day. Like I said it depends on the severity of the infection/need for the antibiotic.

I have done it both ways.

you cant OD on pen so that is your safety net. of course you want to be as accurate as possible though.

by giving a dose every 12 hours or so you keep the medicine in their body and can get rid of the issue without it having a chance to even build back up a little bit between when the Pen wears off and when the next dosage is.

#5 ·
Penn G really is not the best to give for a upper respiratory infection. Now if that is all you have then yep it will work. Tylosen is wonderful. (ok, I might have to check my med kit for he spelling

#6 ·
Thanks all..He has had 3 shots in 2 days now and is improving pretty much...so I think that one shot a day from now on should do the trick.
I've had my goats for a little over a year now and would have been totally lost without this group! So how long does it take before I stop waking up in the middle of the night wondering if the goats are OK?????

Kat C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.