Penicillin G question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by artzkat, Feb 16, 2008.

1. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    I have started my wether on Pen G for fever and upper respiratory infection.
    I know I have to use it for 5 days minimum..do I give 2 shots a day or 1?
    Different sources say different things. He weighs about 40 pounds and is getting 2.5 cc each shot IM.
    I gave him one shot last night and one this morning. He has improved dramatically. I on the other hand am a nervous wreck.

Thanks, Kat C

2. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    I just gave my doe 1 shot a day for 5 days. That is all I was ever told. Hope that helps and good luck.

3. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I would think just one shot a day. Hope he gets better soon!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can do either - depending on the severity of the infection.

You can either cut the dosages in half and give twice a day OR give full dosages twice a day. Like I said it depends on the severity of the infection/need for the antibiotic.

I have done it both ways.

you cant OD on pen so that is your safety net. of course you want to be as accurate as possible though.

by giving a dose every 12 hours or so you keep the medicine in their body and can get rid of the issue without it having a chance to even build back up a little bit between when the Pen wears off and when the next dosage is.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Penn G really is not the best to give for a upper respiratory infection. Now if that is all you have then yep it will work. Tylosen is wonderful. (ok, I might have to check my med kit for he spelling

6. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    Thanks all..He has had 3 shots in 2 days now and is improving pretty much...so I think that one shot a day from now on should do the trick.
    I've had my goats for a little over a year now and would have been totally lost without this group! So how long does it take before I stop waking up in the middle of the night wondering if the goats are OK?????

Kat C.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm cant say - just don't breed them, then you will go nuts like the rest of us :hair:

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Oh none of us are nuts. Not even close. Insane, maybe.

I would give that guy some probiotics too to keep the good stuff going in his rumen, when I have to do pen g I give the probiotics about 6hrs after.