The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my doe's triplets either sustained an injury to her eye or developed a lesion. It caused her to keep her eye closed for a few days. I put Vetericyn Plus on it today. After putting that in her eye she no longer keeps it closed but she is shivering and not as bouncy as her siblings. Her temperature is 102.9. She weighs 13 pounds and is 10 days old; not eating as vigorously as her brother and sister either, just stays by herself. I'm very anxious about her. I put a dog sweater on her. Can I give her a shot of penicillin? If so, how much?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Is she being pushed out of the sleeping pile or shoved away from the teat by the others? Is she the smallest of the 3? Is the doe as attentive with her as she is with the others? Do you feel she has an infection that is causing the shivering and that is the reason for the antibiotic?

·
Super Moderator
59,313 Posts
Are you sure she is nursing enough? Have you been weighing them daily with a scale that weighs in pounds and ounces or pounds and tenths of pounds? Did you verify that the eyelashes aren't curled under the eyelid?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She and the other girl are the same size. She is always cuddled up with the other two under the light. As a matter of fact, she remains under the light while the others are moving around. Mom treats all of them the same but is only feeding out of one side so I have been supplementing a bottle to the other girl. This girl won't take a bottle anymore, but she has previously. She just looks more sunken on the sides than the others. I do think she's at the teat less whether she's pushed away or not as aggressive. I could lock her up with mom to be sure she has more time at the teat. I'm just worried about her going downhill- I don't know if she's not as active because she's ill or because she's not getting enough to eat. The other girl will suck a few ounces out of a bottle. I'm so frustrated by the scale thing because my scale weighs in pounds, not ounces! It is a small scale with small spaces between pound lines. I'm not sure if I trust it to give me accurate picture of weight gain!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you sure she is nursing enough? Have you been weighing them daily with a scale that weighs in pounds and ounces or pounds and tenths of pounds? Did you verify that the eyelashes aren't curled under the eyelid?
It's the bottom lid that had a reddish area. I made sure it was "uncurled" and when I did that she kept the eye open, so I do believe the lower lid was a little curled in for whatever reason. And the scale thing just aggravates me. It is in pounds but the lines are so close together that I don't know if I would be able to discern a change. She definitely gained weight this past week but I'm not sure how much on a daily basis.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A cold kid is usually a hungry kid. I'd put a sweater on and get some of moms milk in her. I agree with weighing daily to make sure they're all gaining
I think I will try separating her with mom and watch her get a meal. I weighed her yesterday evening and I'll weigh again tomorrow.

·
Fair-Haven
4,799 Posts
An eyelid that "curls" in from the bottom is called entropin. i would treat the eye 3x a day until it is clear and the eye is no longer weepy or red. I use a hanging fish scale to weigh, put baby in a bag and hang them from that. It's cheap and weighs in ounces. I would make sure she is not cold via temp, and either bottle feed or put up to mom. With three kids on the doe and them only nursing from one side she may have a hard time keeping up with demand. Milk out the unused side a bit and teach the kids to nurse from that side as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An eyelid that "curls" in from the bottom is called entropin. i would treat the eye 3x a day until it is clear and the eye is no longer weepy or red. I use a hanging fish scale to weigh, put baby in a bag and hang them from that. It's cheap and weighs in ounces. I would make sure she is not cold via temp, and either bottle feed or put up to mom. With three kids on the doe and them only nursing from one side she may have a hard time keeping up with demand. Milk out the unused side a bit and teach the kids to nurse from that side as well.
Thank you! I will look for a fish scale. Her temp is not cold but with all replies I'm beginning to see she's probably just not getting enough to eat. I'll try her up to mom and then offer bottle. I was afraid of this happening knowing mom only had milk on one side. That's why I tried bottle feeding earlier on. She just now isn't interested in a bottle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much for all input! I'm going to work with her on feeding more and keep checking her weight. I won't give her antibiotics unless temperature goes up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is only 1 side producing milk? Are you expressing milk from the side that isn't being nursed to keep her udder from becoming lopsided and/or hardening up?
This side of her udder was congested for about a week. I massaged it and applied warm compresses. After one week of that it had finally softened but does not produce any milk. I was getting a stream or two when I attempted but that has dwindled to nothing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I appreciate the input. I brought the little girl in last night. I used my bathroom scale to weigh her; she was 12.6 pounds. I wrapped her up in a towel and we slept in the recliner :) Once she warmed up she started rooting. She didn't get much from a bottle; we are still struggling with that so I tubed 2 oz. into her a little after midnight. We slept until 5 am and then tried again. She was definitely perked up with the warmth and the milk. We tried a bottle again without much success. I tubed 2 more oz. in her and took her outside. She immediately went to mom's teat but didn't really latch on. She was jumping up on some straw bales and I thought that with that energy I'm going to let her stay with mom. When I brought her back in today at 10 am she weighed 13 pounds. I don't know if that is ONLY from the milk I gave her because she did urinate while she was outside. But I tried the bottle again and not much success. She fights it so vigorously that I think with the strength she has she's not that weak. I ordered a scale that I can use outside but I'm going to keep trying with the bottle. I also bought a second type of nipple (human baby bottle nipple) to try that out on her. Anyway before I took her back out I tubed 2 more oz. into her. Mom still attends to her. But you are right. I feel like if it was 35-40 degrees here it would be a whole different game. I'm going to keep trying her with the bottle. I know that every week she grows a little stronger and if I could get her to the stage where she can nibble grain she'll have another resource. If she took a bottle more easily I would keep her in but I feel like I'm stressing her out by trying to force feed her the bottle. She's so resistant! The sister takes it a little better. I may be able to supplement her and leave mom's milk for this one.

·
Registered
31,056 Posts
To get those stubborn babies on a bottle o put a tiny amount of honey on the nipple..make sure milk is nice and warm..set baby on your lap. Legs tucked..put a tiny amount of honey on your finger and place far back on her tongue to stimulate sucking reflex. Do this a few times until she is eager for next taste of honey..then slip the bottle in..holding chin up a bit. She will taste honey first then milk...may take a time or two but this method has been successful for many stubborn babies.. even a 2 month old!!
Good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts