The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe had twins yesterday. I had to assist and went in. I don't have any penicillin on hand. What kind and how much? I didn't go in far two fingers to my middle knuckle just to see what I could feel. She's about 140lb.

·
Banned
43 Posts
I agree. Inappropriate and over use of antibiotics is the main cause of reistant bacteria. That is a very real threat, whether you can see it or not. The FDA is moving toward restricting the availability, and the day may be coming when there wll be no over the counter access of any antibiotics.

·
14,615 Posts
No I wouldnt give her antibiotic either. Not even up to my wrist. Further in maybe; it depends on the situation.
If there was dead kid inutereo , defininetly Pen or some kind of antibiotic.
But having it on hand is prudent. I was out of Pen & a doe got some sort of abcess on side of knee so I had to get some.

Oh, congrats on your new kids, are there pics somewhere?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for the advice. What I had thought was if you go in then you give pen. I'm relieved to know that she won't need it.

Is there anything that I need to watch for? She won't lie down she starts to then a kid calls she goes to him and then they nurse then we repeat the whole thing. I was also concerned because she wouldn't eat her grain this morn. I'm probably just being a new mom.

Nancy d The pics are in birth announcements under "No more waiting on Jazzy! She FINALLY Kidded!"

Thanks again for all the advice I'm so thankful and relived I didn't put her in danger or anything

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
dont bother with the pen unless she is showing signs of illness. but you should always have plain ol penicillin(for infections) and la 200(for pneumonia) on hand. as far as dosage follow the directions on the bottle or in box. how much is going to depend on how big your goats are. also always have 3-5 cc syringes with about 20-22 gauge needles. penicillin is thick so it needs a bigger needle to both pull it from the bottle and inject quickly as it stings!!
meanwhile enjoy your babies!

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
As said...: ) for future needs Pen G is 1 cc per 20# sub Q always draw back on th eplunger to be sure you are not in a vien...if you see blood..re adjust and try again..: )
for mom B complex will help with her appitite and energy..4 1/2 ccper 100# and a nice bucket of electrolytes : )

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

congrats on your new babies

1 - 7 of 7 Posts