Peony's Rough Night!

Discussion in 'Birth Announcements' started by goatmama2, Apr 14, 2010.

1. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Long night! Peony went into labor technically around 3:45 pm. Spent all evening with a couple of contractions, then rest like nothing happened. Never seen that before. We finally went to bed with the baby monitor; at 1:00 I couldn't stand it anymore and went back to the barn where I decided it wat time to intervene. Got lubed up and went in; my husband heard it on the monitor and came to hold her. It was a difficult situation as I couldn't find any legs in there! Had to keep turning baby around and realized I would probably lose it, but it had to come out. Eventually I found a leg and with a little pushing from mama, out came a kid...alive! I was no sooner cleaning her airways when out comes another. We got them toweled and our Irish Setter went to work cleaning them up, both are doelings! Suddenly I look up and Peony is at it again...a third girl! They are all beautiful, but I think the first one was pretty traumatized. She's on the weak side and I'm having trouble getting much colostrum into her...only a few swallows. If she doesn't get more in the next couple hours I'll have to tube her. :(

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    congrats on the girls!!

as to the weak one -- if her temp is up then yes I would tube her. I did it with a runt and it saved her life I do believe. Tubing isnt hard and dont do it on every kid but those that wont suck or suck good need the energy to be able to suck and walk around.

3. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    I don't know about her temp...what should it be?

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Wow! Crazy! I am so glad everyone pulled through and you have 3 GIRLS! I hope you can get the 1st born stronger--what a tough birth!

Oh, and her temp. should be atleast 100*F before you try to feed her.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Congrats! Great work!

Did you try giving the weak girl any BoSe? I like to see the temp 100 or above before giving milk.

6. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    After about the tenth try, she finally succeeded in sucking and got about 2 ounces down, at least! :leap:

7. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Baby is up on her feet, though still falls down onto her own head and starts screaming to be untangled. I will be giving them each about .75 cc of Bo-Se. Does that sound right? I usually only give a half cc, but the two are pretty good sized.

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    What breed? I only give my ND's .1 cc, if that after, birth.

9. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    They are half Nubian, half Alpine. Oh they're so cute!!! I thought just a little under 1cc would be best?

10. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Congrats on the three girls!! Hope the little runt does well. Get us pics when you can :) Love to see the nubians lol

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I like to stay on the safe side with BoSe. I'd probably only give less than a half a cc.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Congratulations on the babies. Way to go to decide to go in and take care of the babies.

Have you given Nutri drench to the babies? That is something I give all my babies after they are born just for a little extra energy.

:leap: Now we need pictures. :cool:

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    great advice :wink: ....congrats on the new babies.... :clap: :hi5: :thumb: :greengrin:

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    dont give that much BoSe - you could kill her!

Glad she is doing better

nutri drench is a great idea

15. Well, I am not real knowledgeable in the whole tubing thing. However, I did want to say congrats and let us know how everyone pulls through.

16. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Thanks everyone, all 3 little girls are doing great.