People wandering on to your property?!(and they came back!)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by RunAround, Sep 30, 2009.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ok, question for you all. How many of you have had crazy people just wonder onto your property to look at your goats?! :scratch:

Today we had this lady wander down to our barn so her little kids could see our goats! I thought she was crazy. She had to come down our driveway, around our cars and behind/beside our garage to see the goats and find us. She scared the crap out of my mom. Kinda funny! (Sorry mom but it was)

You can't see the goats from our front yard and I like it like that to avoid people coming onto our property. Half the time I have buyers pull up and ask me if they are at the wrong house. he he he :ROFL:

2. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Re: People wandering on to your property?!

Wow! How'd she know they were there??

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

She said she hears them yelling every once and a while, so that's how she knew they were there.

4. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia

:ROFL:

I don't blame her. If I thought my neighbors had goats (before) I would have visited them all the time! (Now) I just visit my own ;)

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

It probably would have been more appropriate had she gone to the front door first, but I have had an experience with a person being here when I wasn't and it irked me :wink:

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

my goats are the first thing you see -- big red barn is dead give away from the street. But even then people here know that trespassing is bound to get you in trouble -- yup we are nasty New Jersians and we like it that way. :wink:

I would never expect to see someone on our property unannounced

7. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI

Yeah, they should have asked first.

I wouldn't have any problem with people visiting with the goats if they came to me and and asked prior to doing so. It would bother me, however, to look out the window and just see some stranger messing around by my goats...or anywhere else on my property for that matter.

Where we live, you can't see our house, yard, or goats from the road and we don't have close neighbors so if someone comes up our driveway, they either have some business with us or they are not for the right thing.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

WOW, I would of freaked out. I do get people stop all the time on the side of the road and watch them, when the goats are out front, but never has anyone just come on to the barn. I think it also because I know most everyone, or I should say my husband does. He is a teacher. Everyone knows where we live because of the goats.
    I do know people ask the DH if they can come by and see the goats, and he always says, "well, you better get with the wife on that first. He tells people I have the bucks and that he does not want them near them.

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

nope , our great pyr looks prety scary running at you 'smiling' and we have no trespassing signs all over. salesmen who come down our drive usually turn around at the top of our driveway. :shades:

one lady did brave the dog and ignore the signs to see If I was in trouble, she heard screams and thought we were in trouble...nope, it was breeding season.

10. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN

We used to have problems with "weekenders" driving onto the property to check out the goats.... they would drive right past the "no trespassing" signs. I traded those for a homemade sign saying "BEWARE: Guard Dog on duty. Trespassers could be dinner!"

Not a single trespasser since.

Attached Files:

• sign.JPG
      sign.JPG
      File size:
      44.6 KB
      Views:
  11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

LOVE THE SIGN Miss MM!!!

I don't mind if people want to see my goats, I just prefer a knock on the door first

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

WOW - they would have had an EAR full if it was me or my husband!!!

I don't mind either if they come and see the goats, but they must call first to come onto the property - or they might be met with a couple mastiffs or a gun!

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

LOL I love that sign. :slapfloor:

14. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I don't want people to think I'm rude by putting up a no trespassing sign in our driveway. It's a pretty small town. Not sure how to go about it tactfully.

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Heck - I got them every 100 feet or so on both sides of my driveway - I ain't playin' - LOL!

I guess I just get paranoid because I don't have "neighbors" - they are all at the bottom of the hill and I don't have padlocks on my gates. Most of my customers meet me in town and I don't have very many that come to the ranch, as I am always scared of the "we know what she has and she works so we are going to go take it" type thing.

Also the coyotes have been coming closer and closer to the property (thanks to Monster's screams all night long from being seperated from momma) - so hubby is actually entertaining the idea of letting me get an LDG pup for the does.... Ohhhhh I hope so!

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

haha - forgot to add this

[​IMG]

17. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have heard of people taking goats off of peoples property. A friend of mine solid some whehters to someone who was going to butcher them. no biggie till they came home a week later to find the same people loading up some of her does into the back of the truck. a gate will sometimes detour people. a lot of people are too lazy to get out and open a gate. If your pens boarders a road i highly suggest a line of electric wire or two at the top to keep people from climbing or reaching over.
    People seem to be getting braver these days, i prefere people not to walk onto my property un announced, a knock on the door is best. But i have never had this problem.
    beth

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

that is not right ...of people to just help themselves ...and not ask.....that would not set right with me... :( ....as for signs ...here are some idea's.... :wink:

... maybe make a sign up like ..." Goat office" at your door...and have one of these signs displayed....it isn't telling them in a mean way....hopefully they will ask first this way.... :greengrin: :hug:

19. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN

We've had problems with vandalism in the past..... probably just a mischevious teenager or something, but we've had our fences taken down in places and gates messed with to the point that the horses could just push on it and get out if they wanted to - we could have had horses all over the county. Not good when we have boarded horses we are responsible for.

Anyway, local law enforcement was worthless....... they couldn't do anything unless we had hard evidence as to who it was ( we had ideas, but no proof ) and neither would they patrol a private road in the middle of the night. They did say I cannot post a sign saying "no trespassing - violators may be shot.' But did suggest I put a sign out warning about the LGD........ no problems since. (knocking on wood)

20. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

I guess she should be glad she wandered onto your property and not mine...

I don't play around.

But then again, I'm a mean Texan. :greengrin:

Gun stays near the door at all times.