Pepper and Indy..

Discussion in 'Birth Announcements' started by Epona142, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I had a very long, difficult, and rather upsetting morning I'm afraid..

Last night Pepper had me concerned. She had progressed to amber and blood tinged discharge with no other signs of labor. Thanks to Jena's advice, I got her up and had a look. I thought her cervix was open but on closer look, it was just ope...n a finger's width, so I let her be for now.

Early this morning she finally started to labor. After a little bit I knew something wasn't right so I went in and pulled the first kid. It was positioned wrong and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't straighten him out. Black and white, moonspotted buckling. I think blue eyes. I thought for sure he was dead but he started breathing so I cleaned him off.

Pepper just laid there and finally I fished the second kid out, a buckskin blue eyed doeling. Very tiny.

The third kid was stillborn, black and white buckling.

Pepper showed no interest in her kids and had no udder at all. I was able to get a bare squeeze from each, so I warmed up the frozen colostrum I had and was syringing it to the tiny boy when hubby tells me, Indy is kidding.

I go to Indy, who pushes out two HUGE bucklings. One buckskin, blue eyes, and one dark colored with maybe a moonspot? Hard to tell.

I bundled up Pepper's buckling and took him inside, and then took a chance and gave Indy the doeling. Indy started licking her and then the doeling got up and nursed. She's TINY compared to Indy's bucklings but I think she may have a chance.

I hit Pepper with power punch, red cell, selenium gel, and an antibiotic. She was starting to pass the afterbirth so I am hoping she pulls through this. She is eating and drinking and her color is good, but she and her babies need some jingles. I don't think the buckling will make it.

[​IMG]
    Pepper's buckling...he's very weak. He probably will not make it but I am trying everything for him.

[​IMG]
    Pepper's doeling. Beautiful little girl...she got to her feet and nursed from Indy who adopted her. I think she has a slim shot. Will be supplementing her.

[​IMG]
    Crappy pic of Indy's boys..will get more later when I'm not so exhausted.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well Congratulations on the fast work. I am so sorry the one was still born, but that does happen.

I have had does deliver with NOn MILK like you said, but I gave them LOTS of warm to Hot molasses water, and then boom they have a bag.

Do you have Nutri drench? That is sommething I keep on hand all the time. I would give 2 cc if you have it.

Something else you could do is mix strong coffee, whiskey and Karo syrup together (2 cc each about). Make sure it is warm, it will give them a liitle extra energy, but forsure they need the colostrum if possible, Thank good ness you have some frozen.

Keep us posted. They are adorable and I will be pulling for you.

3. dtincoelemari

dtincoelemari New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Arizona
    :sigh: sorry about the lost buckling... :hug:
    Congrats on the other kids and I am praying everything turns out for the best for these little guys :pray: I sure hope you get some good rest too because from the sound of things they are sure going to need you. And Such a good momma of indy to take over with pepper's little girl!! :love:

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Congrats on the new kids... they are so pretty. :) Hoping that little buckling pulls through for you! :pray: :hug:
    There is still a good chance that Pepper will bag up for her buckling and be able to nurse him.... I'd give her a nice warm oatmeal mash with some crushed tums mixed inside.

5. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I've done just about all of the above advice (been keeping people updated via my FB). The buckling is very weak and I'm doing what I can for him. The doeling is nursing from Indy and I will supplement her, because Indy's boys are big.

Pepper is not doing so well. I am worried about retained placenta and bleeding. It was a very harsh birth. I've gotten a lot of things down her and her color is good and she will eat and drink, but still...I don't know.

6. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Adorable kids! I am praying that they will all pull through!

7. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    wow what a rough day. you handled it great, so sorry about the loss...that sucks..

very thankful that the doe took the other baby, what a good mommy. I wll keep you in my prayers.... :pray:

8. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Oh yes I am VERY grateful for Indy...she is taking good care of the tiny girl. I have them penned up for now until the babies get stronger.

I may lose Pepper...while she is eating/drinking and I have done everything in my power than I can do, I am afraid I hurt her while pulling those babies (they were positioned badly) and that she may have retained placenta. I separated her as well, and let her older daughter stay with her.

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    give pepper a shot of LA200. I've saved a doe with a retained placenta that way. a BIG dose split up 1/2 on each back leg IM

:hug:

10. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thank you Alaska

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would also give Oxey if you have it.

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Oh my, what a rough day you and your girls have had :hug:

I'm sure that Indy will do very well with the doeling...very pretty kids from both girls too.

Keep your chin up, Pepper eating and drinking is a very good sign, do what others have said, give her plenty warm molasses water and Nutri Drench, she's sore and exhausted...don't expect her to want to stand for a few hours. You did well by going in after those kids, the buckling may be ok, keep him warm and stimulated, giving him that "perk up mixture" may help too, he could have been very stressed by the position he was in.

Pepper having good color is also a great sign, as long as her lids stay pink, she's not hemmorhaging. I assisted with a twisted up kid with my buddy Steph's doe Lily back in March, first kid came fine..big boy, 2nd was upside down head back..very difficult position to try and figure out. Lily was a trooper though, got that baby out and she was the first baby I ever had to recuscitate with mouth to nose, kids did well though the doeling did end up in the house for a few hours to warm up...Lily was given Banamine as well as ND and molasses water. I think that Pepper will recover with your attentive TLC...She's just wore out. :hug: Prayers sent for the 4 of you...mama, twins and yourself :hug:

13. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    the fact that Pepper is eating is a very good sign -- a little hand milking will help with contractions... also Banamine can increase bleeding. expect her to be sore for a few days, but so far so good. have you tried tubing the baby b uck?

14. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    The buckling will swallow if I syringe feed him. But he cannot hold up his own head still, despite all I've done. If he doesn't improve..I may put him down. I don't want him to suffer.

Pepper is sleeping now. I drenched her again and let her be...I am praying she is just horribly sore and doesn't want to get up because of that. I can't blame her in the least, I'd be sore too.

Will update tomorrow. I pray they will be good updates but am afraid they might be bad ones. :(

15. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    My doe Poppy was REALLY sick last year when she delivered her triplets (one was a stillborn) She was shaking all over, couldn't regualte her body temp. wasn't drinking or eating.... I was TERRIFIED that I was going to lose her. But she still kissed and talked quietly to her babies. I gave her 5cc's of Bio mycin for 5 days. Right after she kid I dosed her with 12cc's of Goatade, and I made her a warm mash (ready made oatmeal "maple and brown sugar" cooked, mixed with some sweet feed and 4 crushed up tums mixed in) she LOVED it. She wouldn't eat any hay.... any other grain or feed...but she'd eat that. Soooo the next morning I mixed in about a cup of alfalfa pellets with the same mash combo (except only 2 tums this time) and she ate a little more than half... I had to keep her blanketed every night for about 1 week but slowly she started getting better.

I think your girl is just wore out.... she's hurting and just doesn't have the motivation to move around but :pray: :pray: she WILL get better. You may want to try the mash.... I'm telling you that thing was miraculous in perking up my doe.

16. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thank you myfainters, I will try oatmeal. I can't believe I didn't think of that earlier. I always have oatmeal in the house.

I've got her under a ceramic heat emitter and with Juliet. She's still holding on but she's really not feeling well. I am praying she makes it through the night

17. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I have faith!
    I will be praying she makes it! I really hope she does, so sorry your dealing with this, I JUST dealed with this same thing :(

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It sounds like the little guy just might need to eb tube fed to get some food in him, and warm him with it. DOn't give up on him.

Keep up the good work. Give Pepper any of her favorite treats. That helps also.

Keep us posted. I will be praying for you and all them. :hug:

19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Praying for your babies...... how are things today? :hug: :pray:

20. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Sorry guys...wish I had better news. Pepper didn't make it through the night, and neither did either of her kids. And what's worse, I found my friend's buck that lives here had passed away in the night as well, for no apparent reason. I am absolutely crushed and destroyed. I will probably be cutting down my herd to just my favorites. I am sick to my stomach beyond belief and I cannot do this.