Perfect blood tests!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lissablack, Dec 4, 2010.

1. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    We sent off seven for CAE and four of those for pregnancy, I got 7 negative for CAE and four positive for pregnant! Yay! It is always terrifying, the CAE testing, even though I have never had a positive. Yet.

These are the 7 does I'm breeding. Two I knew were not bred yet and one we didn't get enough blood, plus she is so wide I wonder if she is carrying a dozen, she is only halfway there.

So I have one left to get bred. I'm having trouble telling when she is in season. The rest of them are obvious. I am sure hoping I don't end up with June kids, but I want her bred regardless. She is my nubian who I thought was pregnant last year but she wasn't. Any suggestions? I'm hoping she will be in season tomorrow. Last time I think we were a day too late. I think we were a day too late last year too. It doesn't work to leave the buck with her, because he can't do it without help.

The rest of them are kinders. Her kids will be kinders too, if I get it done.

Jan

2. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    wow that is wonderful...CAE and babies...I understand that worry :hair:

3. jberter

jberter New Member

Congrats on the great testing and preggy results... :hi5: Also hope you have good results on your last breeding.
    Betty

4. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Thank you both, breeding for first generation kinders is always hard. Those were the first breedings I did, so it was a shock to me how easy it was when I had later generations. Wow. You don't have to do anything, and it takes 10 seconds.

We did the pregnancy tests because I have one doe who is very fat because I didn't breed her last year (that was stupid - she put on 40 pounds in six months, and she should be a 100 pound doe), and we were worried she might not be pregnant. So I was very happy she is. Now I just have to worry about the rest of the fat goat issues with pregnancy. I think, though, that she comes from fat lines, who have all done fine for generations.

Jan

5. CONGRATS!!!! I agree it is scary!

6. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    CAE. At least you can control that if you know you have it. But they can test negative for years and then turn up positive, so you can't assume anything. Maybe one of these years goats will eventually be important enough in our agriculture that it will be worth the money for them to find out more about these diseases. CAE and CL. I am totally paranoid. I would never have the nerve to take any of them out of here to a show, even if I was inclined to do that.

Jan

7. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I've been on the forum for a little over a month... and haven't heard anything about kinders... I looked into getting them, but couldn't find any available at that time. I ended up with Nigies
    whom I adore.... how do you like the kinders? have you had them long? are yours loud? (I've got 'city goats')
    Thanks
    Heidi

8. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I love my kinders. My first breeding was for kinders. I have had them about five years. Some of them are noisy and some aren't. Even the noisy ones are usually only noisy when they are kids or when they are in season. But some are much quieter than others. I think it is more lines than breeds. Kinders were started as a breed in Washington, there are a lot of them there, particularly around Snohomish. A lot compared to anywhere else anyway. And there are quite a few in Missouri.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wonderful to hear..... :thumb: :greengrin:

10. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I still break into a sweat everytime I go to open the results from testing.... it's always scary....don't think it matters how many years I test my herd health for I think I'll always be nervous at results time! :shrug:

CONGRATS on the great results!!! Doesn't get better than that!!!!!! :)

Hopefully you get your last doe bred soon!!!!!!

11. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I think we got it done this morning! Fingers crossed. Test to come, this time I'm not assuming anything.

Jan

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California