Perfect7 Kidding Thread

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by Perfect7, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Is it that time already? Our girls were all pasture bred from Sep-Oct for Feb-Mar kids. This year we have 7 does (3 are ff) and I'm sure 6 of them took. The one I'm not so sure about is a massive doe anyway, but she does appear to be developing an udder even if she hasn't filled out. The contestants are:

Karma (Boer)
    Tatonka (Boer)
    Bandi (Boer)
    Rachel (Nubian)
    Val (Boer, ff)
    Stormy (Boer, ff)
    Cricket (Boer, ff)

The buck is our 88% blk/wht paint buck so hoping for some color! Karma looks to be about 2 weeks out comparing udder pics to last years, so I'm betting on her first, followed by Bandi and Rachel. This year I built two seperate birthing stalls in our barn with flood lights and camera so we're set!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hope all goes smoothly especially for those FF

3. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Hoping for quick and easy deliveries for you and your does.

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Hey Stranger! I've been wondering where you have been at! Sounds like you will be busy the next couple of months! I hope all is well with your goaties and can't wait to hear more about their kids :)

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Can't wait to see the kids.... :thumb:

6. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thank you, everyone! Our boer buckling (now 11 months) has a surprisingly kiko looking head and horns with a boer body. :laugh: Very interesting indeed! There's no telling what we're going to get.

7. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Well, Karma is starting to lose her plug, a thin amber strip about 2 inches long. Her ligs on the right were gone last night but mushy on left. Of course, she played around with her ligs coming and going last year. She's dropped and hollowed out. Her udder has filled quite a bit but not strutted, of course, she didn't do that until the day prior to delivery last year. Time to move her to a stall overnight. I had guestimated her due on the 12th but she may go by this weekend. Lovely! It's dropping into the 30's at night this weekend when it's been in the mid-50's.
    She isn't nearly as big as she was last year, I haven't given her as many fritos, so maybe it wont be a single ten pounder this year.
    Let the games begin!

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is the sign....babies soooon................. :thumb:

9. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Well Karma's ligs are completely gone now and tonight she's up and down pawing a lot. She's also doing some occasional grunting and holding her tail off to the side, stretching and arching her back. No streaming, so I think she just wants to keep me up late. I'm thankful for this camera so I can watch from inside because it's 46 degrees and very windy. Our GP Ber has parked herself right outside the birthing stall and is watching intensely. :laugh:
    I think the 12th is a pretty good guess but we could see kids a little sooner.

10. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

She sounds SUPER close!!

IM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!

11. I say kids tonight! Good luck! and keep us posted! :thumb:

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Happy Kidding........ :hi5: :thumb:

13. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    No kids last night, but she was up and down all night long waking me up with her pacing and pawing. I know she's close, so the next few days will probably be nerve wracking. It's still much easier than last year when I was a "first freshner". :p

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She is close... that is for sure ...any discharge..and how are her ligs?

15. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Pam, she has no heavy discharge, though there is evidence of some when I check because it has stained a bit on her bag and back of her legs with straw sticking a little. Her ligs are gone but last year she had the disappearing and reappearing ligs. I am able to get fingers up under her tail head, so very soft. Last year she was extremely vocal as she entered active labor and her tail did this "s" kind of thing. She was so loud last year that she had the whole herd doing the war cry!
    I have her out to pasture during the day peeking out at her while bringing her in during the evening. It's gorgeous weather so I hate to keep her locked up when she may have a few days, but watching her closely. She didn't lie down much last night with all of the up and down, pawing and pacing but she wasn't making much noise.
    She did grunt a couple times while lying down and lifted her tail while rocking forward so I thought a mild contraction, but it did not continue. The one pyr is staying glued to her all day so I think she knows something is up.

16. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I remember you posting about the war cry when she was in labor...how funny LOL!!! My goats are soooo quiet when one of the others go in labor, they are too busy trying to peek inside LOL When Ithma kidded last month, her lil sis was in the back stall peeking over the divider wall while munching on hay...reminded me of someone at a movie with popcorn and a front row seat... hehe!

I hope she doesn't keep you in suspense too much longer, and so happy to hear the LGD is sticking with her. Nice weather helps too! I wish my does were due next week, it's supposed to be nice! I know they are gonna wait until it's cold and nasty out though!
    BTW, didn't Karma kid a week before my does last year? My same two does that kidded are due again in 2 1/2 weeks LOL

17. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Popcorn! :ROFL: Yeah, our girls were close last year! Karma kidded on June 22nd last year and is the only doe we had that kidded last year. Her baby (absolutely gorgeous and huge) was the one who was mauled by our great dane through the fence. :(
    I didn't figure she'd be the first one bred when we turned the buck out in September but apparently she felt she had dibs as the herd queen. :p She was still nursing! It will be nice to see her with a baby again and she's such an awesome mom. We are only going to breed our girls once a year in the fall (on this schedule) so she shouldn't be bred so closely this next year. I may even give her a year off because she's my favorite and I want her to be around for a good long time.
    I think she knows I'm watching her on the camera because she's giving all the indications of being about to pop and then she turns and looks at the camera. Uh huh, she wants PRINGLES! Tonight she's dropped even more and hollowed out and she's carrying her tail low so maybe...it would figure since tonight it's going to be down to 30 degrees. Yep, she'd do that to me.
    Bandi has joined her in the next stall because her udder filled in the last 24 hours and softer ligs. Poor girl is wider than she is tall. I'm beginning to think they got bred in ranking order....

18. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Awww that's right, I forgot that had happened to her baby, and remember you telling us about it.
    It sounds like Karma is playing games with you again, silly girl! And yeah I understand about waiting until it's cold out. We're in KY and Ithma decided to wait until just after midnight to have her twins, it was soooo cold.... I had to use a heat lamp and sweaters on them. Took about 2 days to get them going on their own. The buckling still gets sooo cold. The only downfall to kidding this time of year for us.
    I think next time we'll plan on fall or spring kiddings, not Dec-Feb or July/Aug kids.

Make sure you get lots of pics of your girls and their babies, I'd love to see them :)

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    LGD's do know sometimes...I think.... they can smell it coming.... so yeah....it is probably soon.... :wink: Happy Kidding... :thumb: