The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, Karma still hasn't had her babies but we're two days ahead of my guess still. She's hoovering down everything in site that will fit into her mouth and being a general grump to everyone, pushing and prodding the other does. She also hid out by herself in the barn today instead of going into the front pasture with the herd. Her ligs are back to mushy on both sides. Her udder looks like a speed bag and is heavy.
Most of the other girls still have pencil ligs except for Bandi, who looks like she swallowed a boer buck whole. Her ligs have also softened and there's about 5 inches of space on either side of her as she walks through a 4 foot barn door. Her udder has only filled about half way, though.
Cricket (ff) suprised me tonight by having soft ligs and her tail head has lifted. She's not very big and her udder just started to develop last week (very small ff udder). I figured she'd be at the end of March girl but we may be surprised.
Rachel's nowhere close but grunts like she's in heavy labor all night long. That's great to hear on the baby monitor. :ZZZ: Still twiddling my thumbs.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I sure hope so, Liz! She acted ravenous tearing into a round bale of peanut hay and then tried to eat a mineral block whole, knocking a corner off with her horns and carrying it around in her mouth. I'm afraid to get my hands too close! :laugh:

·
14,725 Posts
LOL!!!! silly girl! I am just picturing her with that piece of block in her mouth LOL!!! They do the silliest things!
Come on Karma!!!! mama is ready for them babies!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This is our first "home grown" year and the suspense is killing me. :GAAH: I'm dreaming of some black headed babies! Bandi had a small amount of whitish-yellowish discharge tonight, so it may be a race to the finish....or they'll both wait for a nasty storm at 3 AM and decide to go together.
Pasture breeding? Maybe not next year. Seems like our buck got everybody at once.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Re: Perfect7 Kidding Thread *Karma in labor

I must be pretty good with my guesstimates! Today is the 12th! Okay, so I haven't officially even made it to the barn yet but Karma woke me up at 5:00 AM whining repeatedly. She never does that and it only means one thing....babies! She's been up and down all night pacing and eating.
So I'm dressed, coffee brewing, watching her on the monitor and about to head out into 28 degrees of chill. Will report after I check her, but this calling seems to be her signature. :clap:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Just came back in from crunching across the frost covered grass, brrr! She had that wild eyed look in her eyes and was jumpy, pacing and pawing ,turning in circles, then down and up.
I'm staying in where it's a bit warmer and watching on the cam. Let's hope she waits to push until daylight when it gets warmer outside. No discharge that I could see. Ligs are gone, she's walking stiff in the back. She had a contraction and hunched up while I was out there. Finally laying back down and chewing her cud like she's going to break her teeth on it. I have a feeling that we're going to have babies today! :wink:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

No babies yet! He udder filled in even more (very tight now) and she's even more hollow, holding that tail up and off to the side. She's having more discharge but still not heavy like she's ruptured. She's just laying there grunting. I suppose she just found it necesary to wake me up early to give me plenty of notice! She's talking up a storm, very not like her. She has that deep voice so she sounds more like a calf calling it's mother.
Another big doe has decided she wants to try to headbutt the outside of the birting stall where Karma is so had to run her out.
Looks like it's going to be a long day. She's got me groggy with blood shot eyes for sure, so I hope she's happy!

·
Registered
5,394 Posts

my alpine is pulling the same thing with me!! they must be in cahoots together. I'm getting the exact same behavior from my doe on day 150... grr
and i've never heard a goat chew her cud this loud! lol.

·
14,725 Posts

No war cry yet? hehe.... I hope everything goes smoothly for Karma! You gotta post as soon as you can and pics, lots of pics!!!!! :) Lots of good kidding vibes going your way!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
:hair: My does are trying to drive me insane! Karma kept up her crying throughout the afternoon, she's so hollowed out I could probably touch my hands together under her spine and my fingers reach to touch under her tail. Her udder looks about ready to bust, teats pointed out and shiney. This evening she's standing there looking at me like I'm crazy.
TaTonka decided to go helter skelter on me, ramming the front of Karma's birthing pen so hard she actually bent the cattle panels! I thought she and Karma had worked out their dominance issues this summer. TaTonka seemed intent on killing her while she was down and she's one big doe. Oh yea, and she bagged up about halfway and is now discharging.
The nubian, Rachel, has filled to about 3/4 full (compared to when we milked her this summer). She's still doing her sympathy moans, and Bandi can't possibly get any wider. I'm not going to have birthing stalls for long, I'm going to have a birthing barn.
I swear that Karma is holding out until the other three heifers, uh I mean sweet does, are ready to pop and then they are all four going to let it rip at once. I threatened Karma tonight and told her if she wakes me up at 5 AM and it's not a TRUE labor alert, I am going to squeeze her until we get kids! That's when I got the crazy look. Yep, it's a conspiracy! No potatoe chips for them tonight!

·
Registered
439 Posts
:ROFL: your last post has me giggling.

I pray my girls don't do this to me this year!!!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Just an update on the thread. Today Rachel had more thick white discharge (her mucus plug) like she did two days ago. This evening it had turned to an amber color, so she's getting closer. Her udder filled in quite a bit from two days ago (looks less hairy in the photos as well). I have no idea if she has ligaments or doesn't because with that bony Nubian rump I'm not sure if it's ligs or hip bone! :shrug: I'll keep working on it. Her tail doesn't really seem hollow and she doesn't particularly look like she's dropped. I'm still looking at her cross eyed. Oddly enough, this is the first time in a few weeks she HASN'T moaned loudly with every breath as she is lying down. :chin: Oh, well she must have read this because she just started in on the monitor.
Karma, well I don't know what's wrong with her. She should have kidded days ago and has been talking up a storm with no results. She answers every goat like they are her babies. Hormonal thing! She hasn't had ligs for awhile that I can tell, very dropped and hollowed out, noodle tail held off to the side. Her udder is already bigger and tighter than it was when she kidded last year.
Bandi is as big as a house but no other signs of impending kids. She is way too padded along her tail to feel anything but a cushion so either her ligs are soft or she's just plump! Maybe both.
Val and Stormy, full sisters, are about as far along and identical. Both have tight, easy to feel ligs and only 1 handful udders (ff). I don't expect them until mid-March.
Cricket (ff) has filled her udder pretty good in the last couple days to about three handfuls. :p Her tail head looks like it has risen and her tail is "floppy" but her ligs are still firm. :scratch: I don't get it either.
TaTonka lost her mucus plug a few days ago and is grunting quietly on occasion but her udder is only about halfway filled and she doesn't look to be close yet. She should also be March.

21 - 40 of 107 Posts