The Goat Spot Forum banner

101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Re: Perfect7 Kidding Thread *Stormy mush ligs*

Thanks Candice! No updates so far. She is walking really loose in the back end with slow turns. :p I let her out of the stall around lunch time because it's 85 degrees and too warm to be inside all day but am keeping a close watch on her. So far she's just lying around in the shade. Her full sister (Valentine) kidded in the afternoon around this time so hoping I can catch her. I'm listening on the monitor and checking every 30 minutes. I'll be glad when we are finished with deliveries for the year!
When is your girl due? Sounds like she may have a really big baby! Inbreeding can be a good thing if the sizes are that large!
I never weighed our babies this year (except the one we lost at the vet who was 9 lbs), but they all looked to be between 8 and 10 except Valentine's little buckling who was maybe 6-7 lbs. That was a blessing!
The ff all had hard pencil ligs (like the nubian) so they are much easier to tell changes in, and hers was pretty quick. Yesterday morning she was hard, then sunken/softer by early evening, and mush late last night. It would be nice if she waited for the weather to cool off a bit, like 8 or 9 tonight, but I can only hope! Any time is good as long as it is uncomplicated. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #102

This afternoon Stormy's ligs went back to firm. How weird is that? Do they get softer in the evening? I'm still putting her up in the stall but will try not to lose much sleep. Her udder is as big as her sister who freshened already so....not long. All of my girls have been pretty close together and I can't imagine she was the only one who ran fast enough to avoid getting pregnant in this 3 week window. :)

·
14,725 Posts

Love when the ligs play tricks! my first doe to kid did that to me.
My doe is due April 26th, but I wonder if she'll last that long. She was pasture bred, so we'll see. I'm keeping an eye on her as her ligs were very hard a few days ago and now they have sunken in a bit.
The last does will be sad, but a relief too...sad that there are no more kids to expect right now, but a relief that everyone has had their turn and nothing dramatic 'preggo wise.'

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #104

Stormy kidded twins! :stars: Not bad for a ff, and no problems at all. Actually, she kidded between the heavy down pours today. One storm rolled out and she kidded before the next rolled in. I had turned her out into the pasture for an hour because she was having a fit in the stall (mush ligs like for days, no discharge). When it started sprinkling and everyone came back in but her, we found her and two nursing kids in the pasture. Missed it again! Mom and babies are doing well, placenta passed (in the stall). She's very protective, to the point of butting at me and trying to bite me when I carried her kids into the stall. :shocked: She must have waited for me to let her out and run right out to kid.
She had :kidred: :kidblue: The girl is solid black and the boy is black traditional. Both look like they are about 6 lbs each, lucky for her! Don't know where that solid black came from! Her full sister threw a solid red buckling this year. Their father was a solid red boer buck, but black? :laugh: Sweet! That's it for us for the season. It's great, but glad it's over for another year.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts

congrats! what a good mamma goat, doing it all by herself! can't wait for pics of the solid black!

·
14,725 Posts

Awww Congrats!!!!! I am so glad that things went well for Stormy, and how funny that she had them between the storms....Stormy....storms...hehe!!

101 - 107 of 107 Posts