Permethrin Directly On Goats?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by clingenpeel, Sep 26, 2014.

1. clingenpeel

clingenpeel Member

Apr 1, 2013
    I seem to have a reoccurring mite problem that I just can't shake. I hate to keep giving ivermectin.

All of my goats were treated with three doses of ivermectin pour on recently. I dosed them 7-8 days apart and the final dose was only a month ago. All if the goats but one seemed to be free and clear of the mites after the second treatment. One of my goats however still was not growing her hair back where she had lost it to the mites. After the third dose she slowly began to grow her hair back, and did eventually grow all of it back. All goats appeared to be mite free at that point.

Well, the same goat that hung on to them the longest, now has them again. I've not seen signs on the other goats but it's only a matter of time. I really hate the thought of going into the winter season with these.

I treated this one goat today with the sulfur cream that comes in a tube, the name escapes me. I also mixed permethrin per label for spraying directly on goat. I only sprayed the one goat for now. I was a little leery about spraying all of them. Especially with most being bred.

Should I have any concerns about using the permethrin, and is it effective.

Thanks

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    The only thing that worked for me is Ivomec injectable..SUB Q not pour on...1 cc per 40# sub Q once a week for 3 weeks...real stubborn cases may need two rounds...mites are not gone until hair is grown back ...

you need to treat the bedding as well...7 dust or the pymethrin will work...

3. LoriH

LoriH Active Member

Is there a milk withholding time with this?? My

4. LoriH

LoriH Active Member

Is there a milk withholding time with this?? My goat is in milk right now ...

5. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Its 36 days! however,inthe UK its 14 days....personally I dont hold milk any more...but fiasco farms suggests 4 days....

here is what fiasco farms says on the subject..

6. LoriH

LoriH Active Member

I hate to leave her itching until she dries up (that is what the vet suggested doing) but milking for nothing is a pain too. You don't hold?? Do you pasteurize or just drink away??

7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Anything you use on or inject or give oral can find its way to the milk once its absorbed into the skin or digested....grant you some ways introduce less introduction to the milk then injected or oral..but it still finds its way...basically, most meds have a withdraw time...
    We dont hold at all..and we drink it raw...its a choice...the amount of meds that finds its way to the milk is not great, although I cant say how much, and the plus side is we dont have worms lol

I would not leave her iching until she dries up...its miserable and stressful...stress lowers the immune system which opens the door to illness..more mites, lice , worms and cocci...not fun at all...

8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    a more natural treatment is a blend of tea tree ess. oil and lavender ess. oil

in a 2 oz glass spray bottle add 20 drops each the Tea tree and Lavender es. oil..fill 1/2 way with carrier oil such as sweet almond or avocado oil and then top it off with water...shake and spray area with mites ....work it in with your hands...do this several times a day until hair grows back...

My Saanen buck gets mites super bad every rut...if I dont start ivomec injected ASAP he gets super bad very fast...Next year before rut starts..Im going to use this blend and see if I cant stay in front of an out break...Im sure he much rather me squirt him then inject him : ) we shall see...

9. LoriH

LoriH Active Member

I have been massaging a blend of coconut oil, tea tree oil and lavender on her this week. The up side is she loves it as it probably feels good on the itchy patches but I am not seeing a change. vet said it couldn't hurt and may take some of the itch out but not the mites. That stole some of my confidence but maybe I will keep at it a little longer and see if it will fix her up. Thanks for the conformation. I will do ivermectin if I have to but I would be so happy if this more natural treatment would help. She is such a sweet, patient girl!!

10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    humm...it might be too far gone to help naturally...

11. LoriH

LoriH Active Member

hmmm get out the needles then .... :-(

thanks Cathy.

12. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I know its hard...we have to pull a branch down and get Amos eating...( hes over 300#!) then when hes munching along I quickly give the shot before he knows what hit him...if he gets wise to us, my 15 year old son grabs him and then we have a rodeo lol...we dont have a large enough table to put him on...he is a sweet gentle monster usually but when you get a shot of Ivomec every week even the gentle monsters can be a pain!!

Set her in front of food...this can take the mind off whats happening and some of mine dont even react to it..Be sure to give it Sub Q 1 cc per 40#...give it...then get her walking fast..rub the spot...ect..the sooner you get her moving the better for her...some goats react bad and others just shake it off...just be prepared..

best wishes

13. LoriH

LoriH Active Member

thanks. I ran out of time before church so we both get a reprieve until tomorrow am :)