The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my 3-4yr old nigerian I believe is pregnant. I don't think that her utter would start filling up and getting bigger for no reason. I did see the male get her in May. What is confusing is that she goes over to the billy pen now and sits by the gate and the billys do their bucky thing. I let the 5 month old billy out with her and she had a standing heat. She let him get her. If she is pg why would she let a billy do this? A friend told me that the billies will go after does esp. during rut regardless of the doe's situation. That I can understand but why would she hold still and let him? It's been day 4 now and the billies are still acting the same way around her.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Her hormones are changing, there is no way she would still be in heat after 3-4 days. She may just be attracted to the rut smell. Bucks will try anytime and she may be to pregnant to run. What does she look like from the rear? Big on the right? Tke a picture and then we'll tell you.

·
Registered
201 Posts
She looks exactly like my doe peaches. Mine has an udder like hers from last pregnancy. She is due in 8 weeks but mine us not filling up bigger yet. Mine would not let buck get to them after they caught. Buck is not interested anymore either.

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
She has never been pregnant and I've had her for over a year and she didn't have swelling utters :) I only had a wether until July this year. Borrowed a buck that got her in May. I don't have the wether anymore and now I have a 6month and 5 month bucks in a separate pen from the does.

I agree with you that is why it's perplexing... I saw and watched a buck get her in May...didn't think anything of it until I noticed the utters a couple months later... I've spoken to other goat owners and they say it isn't unusual for some goats in a couple of months to start showing swelling utters, some do some don't.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I watched my buck get mine too but then they went back in heat. This time they are for sure caught as I had ultrasound done on all my does. Maybe she is caught.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
A does udder when preego will begin to fill 1 to 1 1/2 months prior to kidding. If she is a First timer, her udder is definitely showing there.
Month by month, not sure what you mean there.

It is strange, she is allowing a buck to mount her.

Can you get a pic of her pooch area, tail up naturally, clear enough to see?

Another thing that can happen, is false pregnancy or precocious udder.

Does she have access to loose salt and minerals?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
My doe I lost last year would let the bucks breed her all year long if I let them. She didn't care if she was bred open or close to kidding or what buck it was. I don't know if she had some kind of hormone issue or just a s*** but that was her. She looks very much bred to me there. I would keep the bucks away from her for the next 8 weeks. Also write this last date down just in case. If no kids after 8 weeks then see if you can see a heat. If she is like my girl was its a pain but be safe and figure for now she is due on the day you have. Do the pooch pics too ;)

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I mean each month it seems to get a little bit bigger pooch... ok I got some pics hopefully since she won't hold still. I won't be able milk her.
See below I can't tell the pooch thing. They all have access to minerals, salt block and baking soda.

That is what was confusing me is why she let the little billy get her and then for 4 days in a row she would lay by their gate and they would blubber and carry on like she was in heat for 4 days, which I know is unlikely.

A does udder when preego will begin to fill 1 to 1 1/2 months prior to kidding. If she is a First timer, her udder is definitely showing there.
Month by month, not sure what you mean there.

It is strange, she is allowing a buck to mount her.

Can you get a pic of her pooch area, tail up naturally, clear enough to see?

Another thing that can happen, is false pregnancy or precocious udder.

Does she have access to loose salt and minerals?

Attachments

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just felt around the other does for comparison and she seems to be the same as the other, not loose. But if she isn't expected to kid until mid Oct, would they be loose?

I looked at the pooch pictures on the site and for the life of me I don't know what I'm looking for. To me, they look all the same :D

Thanks....

She looks like she could be.

Can you feel around her tailhead area and see if it is losing up?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I'm no expert but from looking at the last pictures, her vulva is pointing down. I learned this last week from Goathiker:) However, like I said I'm no expert but my vote is bred.

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just don't have enough experience to know :-( The goat breeders and such around here don't help when you ask questions.... They are all nice when you purchase a goat from them and all friendly and say I can call and ask anytime, but they don't return calls or answer...

I am no expert at the pooch reading. Hopefully you can get another opinion here.

Now that you say, she is not loosening at the tailhead area and if she is 4 months along, yes, her ligs should be softening. So not sure if she is preggo.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Look at the thread "up close and personal" in the Health & Wellness section, the date is 9/14. That thread explains it:) I would post on here, but I have no idea how...sorry:(

1 - 20 of 35 Posts