The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Goat Crazy!
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

We have a 2 year-old Nigerian with a persistent cough. She and 2 others developed a cough in the winter. We treated them with Vetrx and vitamin C. One got better with no further treatment. My 2 Nigerians got goopy eyes and thick green snot, so they both got 5 days of LA 200. That seemed to help, but Jasmine still coughed here and there.

I thought maybe her growing kids were putting pressure on her lungs, and the coughing lessened after she kidded out 3 healthy little bucklings. But it was still there.

After a couple of weeks, I decided to treat her with Ivermectin, in case it was lungworm. I dosed her amply 2 times, 10 days apart. She still coughed - some days more, some days less. Humid days seem the worst (and we have alot of humid days).

I've tried children's liquid cold med. That had no effect.

What do you all think? She seems perfectly healthy other than the cough. Allergies???? Any ideas what I can do for her? She never coughed at all before the it all started this past winter. I'm outta ideas!

·
Goat Crazy!
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you try garlic?
I have not. She's a super picky eater. I also want to see if she'll eat plantain (the weed, not the banana like stuff). It's supposed to be really good for lung health.

Try Benadryl.

check feed for dust like their hay. When you pull it apart is there a lot of dust?
No dust. I thought about benedryl, but was afraid it would make her sleepy. Also, if it DOES turn out to be allergies, would I need to give benedryl on-going?

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
I would send a fecal in to chexk lung worm for peace of mind.

With picky eaters..i find making a paste from garlic and olive oil then diluting it with water to drench is helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts