Pet Goat Club

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13, Jan 26, 2021.

1. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13 Active Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    Howdy! Hey, I know most people don't keep goats as pets and usually use them for dairy, meat, fiber, or pack. So we "pet goaters" ought to stick together. So welcome to the Pet Goat Club!

Here you can post anything regarding your pet goats, such as a funny picture, some fun things your goats like to do, etc. This May, I will likely be posting some pictures of my goats' birthday party (because that's how my weird mind works).

To join, just post a reply, saying that you'd like to join, and tell us your goats' names, genders, breeds, ages, and favorite treats. For example:

I would like to join the Pet Goat Club. I have 2 pet goats named Jimmy and Snickerdoodle. Jimmy is an American Pygmy wether, about 5 years old, and really likes tater tots. Snickerdoodle is a Nigerian Dwarf doe, about 7.5 years old, and really likes those peanut-butter-filled pretzel bites.

2. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Packgoats are actually more like pets... just sayin'. ;)

Actually, my dairy goats are also more like pets. Heck, ALL of my goats are pretty much pure pets. The milk and the packing are just benefits. But I guess the difference is that sometimes I sell my dairy goats but I'll never sell my trained and bonded packgoats. They are my buddies for life and I pretty much take them everywhere with me. I'll be at the grocery store or post office and people are like, "Why is there a goat in the bed of your truck?" and I'll say, "Why is there a dog in the back of yours?"

Some people keep pet dogs, but I keep pet goats. My dogs are the only pure livestock I own. They have one job--guarding the goats. If they don't do that job they'll be replaced. I take good care of them but I have no sentimental attachment to them. The goats on the other hand? They are my babies. Especially my big pack wethers. :)

3. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    Now that you mention it, it is kind of impossible to not treat a goat like a pet.

How about just any goat you like to consider your pet?

4. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    Also, do you really take your goats to the grocery store? One time we took Snickerdoodle to Dairy Queen, got her a small vanilla cone. She practically inhaled the wrapper and nibbled a tiny bit on the cone.

Damfino likes this.
  5. friesian49

friesian49 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2018
    PA
    I need to join the Pet Goat Club! After living with my 2 girls for coming up on 3 years, I can't remember life without them!

I have two Boer twins girls, Nyx and Echo. They'll be 3 years old next month, I got them to my house a couple months later after the barn was built. Both girls love apples, bananas, animal crackers, brussell, jagger bushes, leaves, and anything else they can get before I see it! Oh yeah, chicken feathers for Echo if the hens don't move faster than her!

Kelly

6. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I would like to join the club. Destiny will be one year old on 28 Feb (actual birthdate is 29 Feb 2020). She is a Berg bok. A South African mountain goat. We thought she was a ND but we had her genetics tested and this is the result. My wether is Gizmo. He is a 10 month old ND. He is the bounciest goat with the squeekiest voice.

7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Can I join? I have a dairy herd and a bunch of totally worthless pets that for various reasons, I keep, feed, play with and care for and they are the largest eaters and provide nothing saleable!
    Carole is a stunted bossy lamancha, Pants is the same. (sold, was mistreated and I got back) a 4-H Oberhasli (220#) outgrown 4-H goat (the grandson) etc.....

8. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Yes, I do sometimes take my packgoats around town in the truck when I run errands. I get a lot of funny looks!

My goats like the cones best. I've sometimes managed to finagle bags of broken waffle cones from ice cream parlors for my boys to chow down on. I've also paid good money for chocolate-dipped waffle cones from Dairy Queen in the past when I have my goats with me on a road trip. I once took my boys and their cart through the DQ drive-thru and ordered ice cream and waffle cones. THAT got a lot of funny looks!

DQ_DriveThru.2.jpg

Sputnik's like, "Where's my waffle cone?!? Gimme-gimme!!"
    DQ_DriveThru.4.jpg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  9. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Wow I’ve always wanted to do that!!!!!

10. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    There is quite a few members on here that just have just pet goats, @NigerianDwarfOwner707 and some others that I can not recall at this moment lol but I think this is a cute idea. I have livestock but I do have a few that hold my heart and will be here until the day they pass of natural causes, although I adore all my goats.......well on most days, some days when they plot against me I threaten to take them all on a one way trip but they laugh at me and I forgive them lol

11. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    South GA
    Frances, Heidi, Junior, Thelma, Anne, Diana, Stretch, King, Phronsie, Iris, Gilbert, Wilbur, Uncle, May, Clover, Lucky, George, Henry, Roger, and Told-You-So would like to join :D

All of their birthdays are in March and April except Junior's which is in May

12. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

People here dont expect goats in malls. So when my two were 3 and 6 months old we took them to the mall to go buy milk and bread. People actually complained and I had to tie rhem like horses to a parking pole outside. Obviously I refused.
    They drove every where with me untill they got sick now. Now they go to the vet only.
    I do take them down to the pan once a week for a forage. On leash.

13. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

What the “pan”? Just curious.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  14. MadHouse

You and your goats rock Damfino!
    This is what the world needs, people who think outside the box!

15. MadHouse

I am joining the pet club.
    I have 4 goats, Willow, May, Coco and Jeffrey.
    Their birthdays are unknown, May and April. We celebrate them with corn chips and raisins.
    The girls give milk, such a small amount, no for-real dairy would look at them. They are all spoiled and loved.
    I also have pet chickens. Out of the 8 chickens, 3 lay eggs.
    I tell them all each night that I love them.

16. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I have a small herd which makes it super easy to spoil and love each one lol. I do have a few who seem to think I'm pretty special too. Genevieve is nigerian. Shes my smile when I go out. Shes such a hoot. Walks around like shes going to take everyone on...I just adore her. 20200821_175919.jpg

17. MidnightRavenFarm

MidnightRavenFarm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    I have three wethers that are pets. They are just the sweetest boys

18. Kass

Kass Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Haha! I'd love to do that! I plan to do it on horseback one day...

19. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

The pan is our natural wetland. So when its not full of water they get ro go nibble on their fave trees. Its weepin willows. Gizmo used to looove trying to climb a bent one. Now he just is happy if I go get some branches.